Letters to the editor

Nicholls should remember tradition during renovations

I am reading the Nicholls Worth with enthusiasm and commendable criticism. My mother and I, before she passed on Oct. 12, 2010, used to frequent the Nicholls cafeteria and snack bar area on a frequent basis. I commend Sodexo Corp and the Student Government Association for improving the dining atmosphere and the quality of food. It was not like this in the 80s when I was a student at Nicholls. The entire area of the student union has improved for the better.

However, there is one thing that should have been left alone: naming the bistro The Colonel’s Retreat with that garish, militaristic mascot is not only frightening, but also downright insulting to the memory of the old Thibodaux nightclub that once bore that sacred name.

It should be noted to the administration of NSU that some traditions, customs and memories should not be confined to Dr. Alfred Delahaye and his books. Tradition is like Christianity. Some of us alumni treasure the memories and traditions. For example, I can remember as an SGA Senator speaking from the brick podium in front of the union. Now, in disrespect, it is not even maintained. Some changes are healthy, as with the snack bar, the cafeteria and even the signage (although not red and gray) is an improvement over the 80s,but I urge the incoming SGA leaders to read your history of NSU. Ask Dr. Delahaye, he is still around on campus, and do not destroy treasured memories and tradition. Red and gray does still flow in some our veins, as does the purple and gold of die-hard LSU fans.

Changing names of establishments and mascots is as sacrilegious as renaming Beauregard Hall and White Hall to NSU Hall A  NSU Hall B. Read and learn while I read and weep!!!

Reverend C.R.”DOC”Fazzio, DD, Ph.d.

University Senator 1983-1984 SGA

Alumni of Class of 1983 and 1984

Graduate student 1985-2000