Student presents a crash course on driving on campus

Usually as we get further into a semester the driving situation on campus gets better. This semester it seems to be getting steadily worse. Whatever the cause, I think that it is time we revisit a few things. Keep in mind that Nicholls is a commuter school and that traffic is always coming and going on campus. There are so many problems that can be avoided, and so many accidents that could have been prevented if we only keep a few guidelines in mind.

Do the speed limit. There is no reason for anyone to be speeding down any street or through any parking lot. It is a campus. A campus filled with blind spots.

Slow down for crosswalks. Pedestrians have the right of way. Treat crosswalks like caution lights at an intersection, and be prepared to come to a complete stop. This also applies to pedestrians. I have seen too many students just walk into a crosswalk without even looking for oncoming traffic.

A crosswalk does not make you invincible. They might make you feel like Superman, but a car is your kryptonite. Be cautious and look both ways before crossing the road.

Remember that students will walk outside of crosswalks. As students we all unknowingly aim for the path of least resistance. You can find several trails throughout campus that have been worn down by students taking the quickest route to class, to their cars, or to their residence. The problem with this is that students seem to forget that they do not have the right of way in this situation, especially in a road way. Yes, a car should stop for them, but they are not required to. This is where a lot of the problems in the parking lots occur, especially near the La Maison du Bayou apartments.

Students, if you are cutting across a parking lot you need to be aware of your surroundings. Drivers cannot predict or be held accountable for your actions. Stick to sidewalks and crosswalks, which is what they are there for!

Drivers be aware of other drivers around you. Follow the rules of the road. Break out your old driver’s education book if you have to. Remember that turn signals are your best friends, that those rearview and side mirrors are not there just for decoration, headlights are essential in bad weather, and stoppiang at stop signs is not optional.

Also know who has the right of way where you are driving. You would be amazed at how many traffic accidents could be prevented if someone only knew to check their mirrors before they start to back up.

Know where you are allowed to park. Teachers, visitors, commuters and on campus drivers all have their designated spots. Commuter drivers get frustrated when on-campus drivers park in designated commuter parking and vice versa.

Know where you are allowed to park. Visitors stick to visitor parking (unless designated otherwise). I have no problem with the very nice women of the Thibodaux community that visit our campus to use our tennis courts, but I would prefer if they did not park in student parking, or at the very least carpool so that they can minimize their impact on campus.

Another complaint I hear often about Nicholls is that we do not having enough parking. We do, but it just might not be the parking spot that you prefer. If you want a “good” parking spot then get to campus early or face the perils of stadium parking.

Do not take it out on the ticket writers or Campus Police. They are just trying to do their jobs. If you don’t want a ticket or citation then do not give them a reason to write you one. If you follow the rules set by the university we all win.

And last, but not least: Read the parking manual. You can find it on the Nicholls website under University Parking Services. It might be long, and it might be tedious, but it provides you with useful information. It will tell you exactly what you need to appeal a citation, where you are allowed to park your bike or motorcycle and how to properly display your parking permit.

Besides, if you have never read the parking manual you would never know that you can park in teaching parking after the end of restriction hours (which is 3 p.m.). It is worth the read or at least a quick glance to answer any questions you may have.

If we all could just remember at least one of these guidelines campus would be a safer place for everyone. Not to mention, it would be a lot less stressful. Midterms are upon us, and we could all use one less thing to worry about. Get it? Got it? Alright then, let’s get our education on.