Photoshopped game image distorts reality

Following Louisiana State University’s win over South Carolina, Oct. 16’s Geaux-Mail, a weekly newsletter sent out by the University, featured an image of a group of University students known for their school spirit. The students paint their bodies in support of the Tigers and each has a cross over their heart to symbolize their devotion to Christ. The only problem? There were no crosses in the image that appeared in the newsletter.
Herb Vincent, associate vice chancellor for university relations and senior associate athletics director, told Campus Reform on Oct. 18 that the crosses were edited out of the image because, “LSU Athletics attempts not to imply any particular religious or political message in any of its correspondence with fans.”
The students, known as The Painted Posse, seemed virtually unfazed, almost indifferent, in a video interview with Baton Rouge-based NBC33 posted on Oct. 17, saying that they didn’t want to cause any trouble with the University and that they will still be at every LSU game regardless of the incident. The University even released an apology on Oct. 22, following the negative media attention it has received regarding the altered image. But does this really make up for what occurred?
As students ourselves, we understand that not fighting the system about the situation is the smart choice, avoiding the risk of upsetting those who agree with the edits LSU made. However, as Americans, we have the right to speak up about the things we believe in, which includes worshipping and proclaiming whichever religious affiliation you identify with. Advocating something you believe in means being passionate about it, whether the response you get is positive or negative. These students should have taken this as an opportunity to speak out and not sit back and let this issue fade out.
Photoshopping an image for the benefit of an organization or group is, quite simply, an altering of reality. Distorting someone’s image, whether it be erasing flaws on a Victoria’s Secret model, as seen in unedited photos of Doutzen Kroes leaked online in August, or removing a symbol University students use to proclaim their religious beliefs, is only creating an illusion for the naïve to believe. The reality of a situation may not always please everyone, but tricking people into believing a lie will only offend people more when the truth finally comes out.