Students quiet their own voices, opinions

Last week, each student had the opportunity to vote on a new referendum, an addition to the Student Government Association constitution, SGA vice president and Mr. and Ms. Nicholls.

One thing we have learned from this, as we have learned from previous voting opportunities, is that student’s often do not care enough to vote. For the Spring 2012 semester, we have about 6,100 students enrolled here at Nicholls. Approximately 823 students voted. You do the math.

If students don’t care now, then what will they do when they leave school? Student government is as important to a university as the federal government is to the United States. As the voice of the people, the government needs the people to speak. Otherwise everything passed will be on the government’s own agenda.

We already know the excuses of the students who didn’t vote. They don’t care about SGA, the referendum or the constitution. They don’t care who is leading on-campus organizations they aren’t in or the SGA, which works behind closed doors most of the time. Students care about one thing and one thing only-an education. Right? Wrong.

One thing Nicholls students do care about is money, but their apathy has predisposed them to ignore anything our student government does. Because of this, they may disagree with some of the recent changes the SGA has made.

It’s too late for those students now. Voting is over. However, this does not mean students cannot hold their organization leaders accountable for the costs.

If students do not believe their organizations are providing what they promised when they proposed the referendum, they should go directly to those leaders. If that fails, contact The Nicholls Worth. It is our job to serve as a student forum.

Everyone has a voice, and some shout over the crowd. Make sure yours is not drowned out. Stand up for yourself and for the future generations that will be affected by the decisions you make today.