SGA’s spirit award is false advertisement

FREE MONEY!

Actually, don’t count on it if the free money is coming from the Student Government Association.

It was advertised since the beginning of the spring semester that SGA would give money out on certain days at certain games to those student organizations that come out, participated and supported the Colonels.

However, at last Saturday’s women’s basketball game, no money was given after advertising there would be money up for grabs.

When questioned about on Monday, SGA members said that the faculty member that was supposed to judge had an emergency.

While this is understandable, we wonder why there was only one judge scheduled?

Also, we wonder why SGA does not call the judges right before the game to make sure they are able to still attend or have a SGA representative at every game to make sure things run smoothly?

It is SGA’s job to find these judges and be responsible enough to make sure everything follows through with the event.

Yes, while the Student Programming Association is also involved in the Spirit Award, they are donors and the rest is mostly up to SGA.

Where did they get this money to provide a spirit award?

Well, the students. Student assessed fees are being used, well, actually not used in this case.

This award is not just a pat on the back or a certificate. SGA is dealing with money and not following through on promises to hand it out.

At least two student organizations were present at the game and both were unsure of why one of them was not announced as a winner.

We do not believe SGA realized how big of a deal this is.

Organizations are going to begin to not trust SGA if something like this were to happen again.

With organizations not trusting SGA, the organizations will not participate in the opportunities to get more money. This will then fall to athletics and they will lose attendance.

SGA need to accept the responsibility they have been given to have the spirit award.

Most of these members would like to move on to potential government positions. We are sure that these SGA members were in actual United States government positions; they would not get away with not giving an organization money that was promised so why should they get away with it now?