Why it’s a great time to be a Nicholls Student

Extreme Makeover: University Edition is now underway at Nicholls State University thanks to our newly-elected president, success of our football and soccer teams, and a bustling agenda for students involved in extracurricular activities!
Colonel pride has enveloped our 287-acre campus and there is now this air of success that all Nicholls’ faithful have long anticipated. On September 10, the vacant spot sitting atop the hierarchy of command here at Nicholls was filled when Bruce T. Murphy was named as the fifth University president.
Interim president Larry Howell will remain in position until Murphy officially enters the position in January, after he finishes his current role at Air University in Alabama. There, he serves as vice president of academic affairs. During his interview with the Board of Supervisors for the University of Louisiana System, Murphy voiced his goals for his tenure at Nicholls. They include establishing relationships, conducting a thorough academic program review and growing enrollment and the University’s mission of serving the region and beyond.
“The role of the president is to facilitate the dreams of all the different constituencies: the students, faculty, staff, alumni and community. You have to learn what those dreams are, and then you have to get the financial resources to enable them,” Murphy said. “You have to tell the Nicholls story.”
With military and higher education experience, Murphy will bring a respectable new stance to Thibodaux that will do wonderful things for the University and its students.
“I have over 30 years of service in a uniform and a suit. That has taught me duty, commitment and honor,” Murphy said. “I will always give my best to any organization I’m affiliated with and advance and protect it.”
Both the football team and soccer team have started the fall campaign so hot that if today were the early 2000’s, Nelly and his groupies would be prompted to take all their clothes off. Last Saturday, Charlie Stubbs and Company galloped past the Broncos of Western Michigan despite the Football Bowl Subdivision status. This is the third victory in our programs history against an FBS School, which comes at an ideal time to bolster some confidence heading into the rest of the schedule.
Dylan Harrison, along with the help of his assistants, has valiantly led his soccer team into battle in such a way that he somewhat resembles the iconic William Wallace. Instead of winning an Academy Award as Mel Gibson did for his lead role, Harrison has his sights set on a Southland Conference Championship.
In six games this season, the Colonels have yet to lose one match, and have only tied once. So far the Colonels are 5-0-1, a record that will certainly continue to improve as they head into conference play. Friday, September 13 the team will host Alcorn State.
Featuring student organizations for almost any interest now is probably the most exciting time for students looking to fill their spare time with extracurricular activities.  One of the most captivating facets of campus life is joining a Greek organization.
The governing body of sororities, the National Pan-Hellenic Council, opened its doors to over 130 new members into the Sigma Sigma Sigma, Phi Mu and Delta Zeta collectively. Fraternally speaking, the Inter-Fraternal Council welcomed almost 70 new members into Greek life.
Now that the Michael Childs Gymnasium floor is renovated after water damage that occurred last semester, the Recreation Center is now fully functioning. Basketball, volleyball and even badminton enthusiasts are now able to lace up their favorite pair sneakers and exercise while playing the sports they love.
Colonels should move with haste to dust off that old foam finger and get in line for the next Nicholls athletic event because it will most likely be a victory. With Murphy’s experience and work ethic paired with zealous students who are ready to do whatever necessary to better this university, Nicholls State University has such a bright future ahead of itself.
Brian Tracy, a motivational speaker and author once said, “Winners make a habit of manufacturing their own positive expectations in advance of the event.” These wise words should be held dear to those in Colonel Country who are aware of the capabilities this University possesses.
Now, before more success continues, how about we all take a moment to envision Ty Pennington, megaphone in hand, announcing, “Move that bus!”