TotalFratMove Web site gives Greek life a bad name

“TFM” was not a frequently used term in Nicholls’ Greek community, but with the recent popularity of TotalFratMove.com, a Web site dedicated to the anonymous sharing of “fratty moves” from fellow Greeks across the country, fraternities, sororities and non-Greeks have all become the topic of conversation.

TotalFratMove.com is a Web site where Greek, non-Greek or even non-college students can register anonymously and post experiences, whether true or false, that they deem “fratty.” TotalFratMove.com not only has a blog depicting supposed Greek men’s experiences, but there is also a section of the site dedicated specifically to sorority women and their idea of being the perfect “sorostitute.”

Being fratty to some Greeks across the country is not only a term but a way of life, but what does it mean to be fratty or to live a fratty lifestyle? The definition from onlineslangdictionary.com of being “fratty” means to be related or similar to fraternity. Some may characterize this way of life with the polo shirt, Sperry Top Siders and the commonly used “frat strap,” otherwise known as a croakie or sunglass strap, but if being fratty is having a relation to a fraternity, why do we not see all Greek men on campus dressed or acting this way?

Thomas Dempsey, marketing senior and IFC vice president from Houma, said, “I joined a fraternity that strives for excellence in everything it does and takes pride in what it stands for, instead of being a frat that just parties and lacks in most areas of true fraternity life.” Thomas continued to say that he thinks “TFM and the ‘fratty’ concept in general gives Greek life the worst name possible.”

However, some Greek members take the site as joke and see the posts as people poking fun at the individuals that do take themselves too seriously because they are Greek. Steven Plaisance, professional sales junior from Luling, thinks that, “if (the Web site is) taken whole heartedly, it can give the wrong perception of Greeks; to us Greeks though, it’s more of an inside joke, almost making fun of ourselves.”

However, who is to say that these jokes won’t come back to haunt Nicholls’ Greeks when the time comes for more serious parts of the year, like fall recruitment? This crucial time of the year is when sororities and fraternities recruit the future members of their chapters, but what will happen when sites like TFM create a false stereotype of what being Greek is all about? How do the Greek women on Nicholls’ campus view this fratty movement and their section of the site called TSM or Total Sorority Move?

Alyssa Puckett, pre-physical therapy junior from St. Francisville, said, “If I remove myself from the Greek world and examine the situation as a non-Greek, I clearly see how it can give Greek life a very negative reputation.” She also shared a similar view that all posts should be taken with a grain of salt, but that they do not reflect Greek life on Nicholls’ campus. “I understand the humor in the posts and personally enjoy it. I think it is important to be able to laugh at yourself and all Greek organizations in general. However, I do not feel that it is an accurate representation of what Greek life here at Nicholls State University is like at all.”

Greek women at Nicholls pride themselves on not being the “typical” sorority girls. Sorority women on campus are intelligent, goal oriented, leaders and not the superb sandwich-makers that users of TFM find valuable as a sorority woman.

Greek life throughout the years has always had certain aspects that have been the main points of each chapter, regardless of the letters affiliated with the organization. Every Greek organization values and puts at the forefront their leadership opportunities, philanthropy work, brotherhood or sisterhood and ritual. Hopefully the creation of sites like TFM and the seemingly harmless posts provided from possible active Greeks from all areas of the country will not cause members of Greek life, especially Nicholls Greek life, to lose sight of the importance of keeping tradition and respect for their organizations and founders alive for years to come.

Lauren Pitre