Nicholls takes blame for Banner’s limits

Panicked and worried students’ statuses filled the pages of Facebook this week as students tried to schedule the minute Banner allowed them, only to realize that they overloaded the system.

Banner cannot accommodate that many students at once, and most upperclassmen have already learned this fact.

While we hope that they will one day create a server that can handle at least 1000 students logging on at once (as the hundreds that tried earlier this week managed to crash it), for now, this is the system that is in place.

We understand the intense fear caused when one goes to schedule classes and realizes that many others have already registered for the courses we need. What if the class becomes full before we can register?

If a class becomes full before you have the opportunity to register, you’re probably a lowerclassman. The class you’re probably trying to register for is now full of upperclassmen who had the same problem as you only a year or two ago. Don’t fret. You’re in the same boat as everyone else, stuck taking a course later you’d rather get out of the way now.

Our advice is to be prepared. Stop complaining about the failing server; you already knew it would fall. If you must schedule at midnight, be ready to stay up all night. If you are one of the lucky ones who know their classes will still be available in the morning, because you are an honors student or senior who has the privilege of being one of the first to schedule, then do everyone a favor and be patient.

We understand that the rush is also caused by the fear that the classes you want just plain won’t be there anymore. Maybe last semester there were three sections of a class available, but this semester, there’s only one. In that case, talk to the professor. Maybe there’s a waiting list you can get on that will ensure your spot in the class once scheduling opens.

There is no reason over 300 students should rush the server at midnight. Scheduling is staggered. Honor students, Student Government Association members and Student Programming Association members go first. Seniors go next. Juniors register after that, and so on. Unless the classes you are looking at only have 10 seats available, it is unlikely that a class you need will close before you get to it. Freshmen and sophomores have a little more to worry about because they register last, but remember to have back-ups in place. You still have a few years, and it’s okay to take a lower level course as an upperclassman. In fact, you might enjoy the break from your tougher courses.

When scheduling, just remember to keep calm and plan ahead. Don’t blame the school because Banner hasn’t caught up to our expectations of what a server should handle. The fact is, it can’t handle a huge bombardment of students, and we need to understand that.

After scheduling and exams, maybe we can focus on trying to improve Banner by contacting the company that runs it and making a few suggestions or however else we should go about it. But for now, that’s not Nicholls’ fault, so stop pointing fingers.