Breif Happenings

Bayou Region Race for The Cure to be held Saturday

The Susan G. Koman Bayou Region Race for The Cure will be held Oct. 29 at John L. Guidry Stadium to raise money for breast cancer research and education.

Seventy-five percent of the proceeds stay in the local region for breast cancer education, and 25 percent of the proceeds go to the Susan G. Koman for the Cure corporate office for global research.

Those who have not yet registered for the race may do so on Oct. 28 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the stadium. Participants may also register the morning of the race at the stadium beginning at 7:30 a.m.

The one-mile Fun Run/Walk begins at 8:30 a.m., and the 5K Run/Walk begins at 9 a.m.

Annual International Banquet set for November

The 4th Annual International Student Banquet will be held Nov. 13 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the Cotillion Ballroom.

Tickets will be sold to faculty, staff and community members from Nov. 1 through Nov. 10 for $23 a per- son. Anyone wishing to reserve a ticket many send an e-mail with the names of the attendees and the number of tickets needed to [email protected].

Students will deliver the tickets after Nov. 1, or the tickets can be picked up in the Student Life office in the Student Union.

Strategic Planning student forum to be held today and tomorrow

The University is developing a strategic plan for 2011-2016 and needs student input.

The Strategic Plan will guide the University over the next five years. Students are invited to attend plan- ning sessions on Oct. 27 at 10:30 a.m. in LeBijou Theater and Oct. 28 at 9:40 a.m. in Bayou Suites to make comments to improve the University. Comments are also welcomed via e-mail to [email protected].

Sinfonia Singers to perform free concert

The University’s male chorus, the Sinfonia Singers, will perform a free concert of seafaring tunes in a free concert at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 7 in Talbot Theater.

Featured works will include several sailor and dockhand work songs, which thrived in the 18th and 19th centuries. The chorus is sponsored by the Omicron Beta Chapter of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia and is directed by Kenneth S. Klaus, professor of music and director of choral activities. Norman Dale Norris, assistant professor of education, will accompany the singers on piano.

Fifteenth Annual Bite of the Arts to highlight African influences

The 15th annual Bite of the Arts, Nicholls State University’s premiere fundraising event for the John Folse Culinary Institute, is themed “Kingambo to Gumbo: Celebrating the African Influence on Cajun and Creole Cuisine” and will be held at 6:30 p.m. on Nov. 10 in the Student Union.

The gala will begin with a cocktail reception and hors d’oeuvres at 6:30 p.m., followed by a three-course dinner prepared by student culinarians under the direction of distinguished visiting chef Joe Randall, owner of Chef Joe Randall’s Cooking School in Savannah, Ga. Attendees can also look forward to live and silent auctions.

Corporate tables for 10 are available for $5,000, with benefactor tables for eight available at $2,500. Regular seating is $150 per guest. Cocktail attire is requested. Call (985) 449-7114 to order tickets.