Notes on Notes

As of Tuesday the United Kingdom’s own, Asking Alexandria, released its second single from their upcoming sophomore album, “Reckless and Relentless.”

The song is called “Morte et Dabo” and begins in the same way as the tracks from the first album, “Stand Up And Scream.” The track builds up from a combination of synthesizer effects with choir vocals and into a fast, in-your-face combination of guitar chugs and drums.  

One of the first things I noticed about this track is the vocals. In AA’s latest release, “Life Gone Wild EP,” it seemed like Danny Worsnop’s voice died out since the first album. The EP was filled with nothing but low screams and contained no range whatsoever. This new single showed that Worsnop has not lost his edge. “Morte et Dabo” contains vocals ranging from the deepest lows to the ridiculous highs.

Ever since their first release, Asking Alexandria has been known for having some of the best breakdowns in the business. This song is no different. The half-minute section from 1:45-2:15 literally gave me chills. It made me think back to the songs “Two Horses” and “A Single Moment,” which were my two favorite tracks from the first album.

Asking Alexandria has also been known for having great programming effects in their music. The synthesizer and computer effects used in the first album were probably my favorite parts about it. When the band released “Breathless,” the first single from the new album, I was worried that they had given up on the sound effects. This track, however, has shown me otherwise. “Morte et Dabo” is filled with great programming from beginning to end.

In the end, Asking Alexandria’s newest single, “Morte et Dabo,” earns a 4 out of 5. One of my biggest fears for the new upcoming album was that the band would abandon their original sound. This track proved me wrong, and now I am really looking forward to the new album, which drops in April. Until then, check out next week’s Notes on Notes as I review I See Stars’ sophomore album “The End Of The World Party” when it reaches the public on Tuesday.