Notes on Notes

After the introduction of new bands in 2009 and 2010, 2011 will be a great year in the world of post-hardcore album releases.

The past two years have introduced new artists such as Asking Alexandria, Memphis May Fire, I See Stars, Of Mice & Men, Woe Is Me and Sleeping With Sirens along with great albums from already known artists such as A Day To Remember, The Devil Wears Prada, Miss May I and Enter Shikari. Just when I thought things couldn’t get any better, I read up on what’s to come in 2011.

First off is big news from Memphis May Fire. After releasing their new EP called “Between The Lies” in November, MMF’s popularity took off and got them a contract with Rise Records—the biggest record company of the genre. Memphis May Fire also just finished recording a new full-length album that will be released in April.

I See Stars is a post-hardcore band that combines metal attributes with electronic effects. The band released its first album, “3-D,” back in 2009 and will be releasing a new full-length called “The End Of The World Party” on the 22 of this month.

Of Mice & Men shocked the world at the beginning of the year by kicking out vocalist Jerry Roush and returning original vocalist Austin Carlile to the band. The band also moved guitarist and clean vocalist Shayley Bourget to bass in place of original bassist Jaxin Hall who left the band back in August. He will still be doing clean vocals, but Allan Ashby, who was going to be the guitarist in Carlile’s new band, will now be the second guitarist. The drummer and lead guitarist are still the same. After switching members around, OM&M returned to the studio in January to record their second full-length album. I’m really looking forward to this album because I am a huge fan of Carlile. The band stated that they wanted the new album to have the same sound as the first, and I believe bringing Carlile back was a very good move.

Sleeping With Sirens, who released their first album in March of last year, also made changes regarding band members. Brandon McMaster, the band’s former lead guitarist, was let go this past December and replaced by Jack Fowler. The band announced that they too will be releasing a new full-length album in mid 2011.

Asking Alexandria, the UK band that made a huge name for themselves in 2009, will also be returning in 2011 with a brand new full-length called “Reckless And Relentless” that will drop in April.

What is arguably the biggest band in metalcore, The Devil Wears Prada will be releasing their fourth full-length album in the beginning of this summer. TDWP, who is usually pretty secretive about what they do in the studio, said that the new album will follow the same sound as their latest EP, “Zombie,” only without the same message behind the lyrics.

“The new album’s overall theme will be ‘anti-idolatry,’ something that’s been weighing on me lately,” vocalist Mike Hranica said.

Last, but certainly not least, is my favorite band of all time. Originally from London, Enter Shikari gained overwhelming popularity in the states over the past few years. The band made its first appearance at the Vans Warped Tour last summer and will be returning this year as one of the headlining groups. After having a successful year with the release of the full-length “Common Dreads” and singles “Destabilise” and “Motherstep,” the five-piece band is happy to say they are writing a brand new record that will be released this summer. There is also a rumor of a live DVD that will be released sometime in the near future.

In the end, I can honestly say that I’ve never been more excited for album releases as I am for what is to come in 2011. 2010 was a great year for live shows, allowing me to see bands such as Sleeping With Sirens, Attack Attack!, Of Mice & Men, Miss May I, Pierce The Veil, Woe Is Me and Enter Shikari. 2011, on the other hand, will be a great year for new music to occupy my hard drive. The best part is that everything is scheduled to appear before the end of the summer!

You can be sure that I will introduce and review every album as they appear during the semester. Until then, if you would like to see an album reviewed or introduced, send your suggestions to The Nicholls Worth at [email protected].