Colonels go home after loss in second round of the SLC tournament

After winning the first double-overtime game in the Southland Conference Tournament since 2006, Nicholls lost in the second round  60-59 to Sam Houston State University Thursday.

The Colonels had their chance of advancing, but it was snapped with 0.8 seconds left in the game.

After T.J Carpenter’s long three-pointer fell with just under six seconds remaining in regulation,  the Colonels (11-23, 6-12 SLC) victory slipped just out of grasp when the SHSU drove the length of the court and scored with under a second left. In a close contest, Nicholls and the Bearkats scored back-and-forth, in a game that had only six lead changes.

On less than 24 hours rest afer the McNeese Game, the Colonels proved that the team had their heart on their second round game. Nicholls scored 18 point in the paint, 36 bench points, 4 second chance points and 2 fast breaking points. The Colonels also allowed a total of 12 points from turnovers while scoring 9 and tied the score three times during the game.

Nicholls overcame a slow start, reaching an average of 59 percent on field goals, 50 percent on 3-point shooters and 66 percent free throws in the first half. The Colonels finished the first half four points behind the Bearkats, 34-38.

In the first minutes of the second half of the game, the Colonels’ defense were able to force five turnovers.

Nicholls tied the game for the first time with seven minutes on the clock, 48-48. Sam Houston was able to regain the lead and to hold a 53-50 advantage. A Quinton Thomas dunk lowered the Bearkats’ lead to one point after a intercepting a pass.

Tre O’Neal drew a foul on the next possession for the Colonels, getting a one-on-one chance that tied the game one more time. Thomas shot two free-throws next that gave Nicholls their first lead, 56-53, with 1:32 remaining.

The Bearkats tied the score 56-56 at the 1:24 mark, and took over a two point lead after the Colonels missed a shoot in their next possession. T.J. Carpenter hit a three-pointer giving Nicholls the lead one more time at the 5.9 second mark, but Sam Houston scored the final two points of the game with a off the glass floater.

Although the Colonels had their a four-game win streak spoiled by the Bearkats, the team overcome a rough season and finished their last appearance in the tournament, as they began it, fighting.