Men’s basketball advances to second round after winning in double overtime

The Nicholls State University men’s basketball surpassed No. 6 McNeese State University 94-90 last night in double overtime.

According to the Southland Conference website, that was the first double overtime in a first round game in the SLC Men’s Tournament since 2006.

The Colonels (11-22, 6-12 SLC) opened their first game of the tournament sharing back-and-forth scores with the Cowboys throughout most of the first half. After a 15-6 run, Nicholls finished the first half with an 11-point lead.

Nicholls came back strong at the beginning of the second half and took a 15-point lead but allowed McNeese to step up and open a two-point lead in the final 33 seconds. With 11 seconds remaining on the clock Ja’Dante’ Frye was fouled after fighting a rebound and knocked down two free throws, sending the game into overtime.

McNeese held the game advantage 83-81 in the first overtime period until Frye drew another foul that led the Colonels to double overtime.

The Colonels tied 90-90 at the second overtime with 1:20 remaining on the clock, just seconds before Luka Kamber made a pass that resulted in a dunk by Frye and giving a two-point lead to Nicholls. The Colonels increased the lead with a 2-pointer by Quinton Thomas from the free throw line, finishing the game 94-90.

T.J. Carpenter and Liam Thomas led Nicholls in regulation, scoring 22 and 16 points respectively. Frye’s performance also contributed to the Colonels victory with 18 points in the game, eight of those being scored after regulation. The three players combined a total of 15 rebounds, seven assists and four blocks.

The Colonels defense played an important role bringing in their win last night. The team only allowed 11 points in turnovers in comparison to 14 points allowed by the Cowboys. Nicholls also counted extra help, scoring 35 bench points.

Nicholls will face the second round of the conference play against No. 3 Sam Houston (17-14, 12-6 SLC) at 7:30 p.m. tonight.