Nicholls football picked to finish last in conference

Nicholls State University football quarterback Landry Klann, from San Antonio, Texas, works hard on Friday morning at practice for the 2012 football season.

The Nicholls football team will have to earn the respect of its peers in the Southland Conference in 2012.
The Colonels were picked to finish last in the Southland Conference by the league’s coaches and sports information directors at its annual media day back in July. Head coach Charlie Stubbs could not care less where the Colonels were picked in the poll, or at least that’s his preseason temperament.
“It doesn’t really matter,” Stubbs said. “It would matter if you weren’t playing games, but we get to control it. The way you get out of there is you win out of there.”
The players on the other hand are using it as motivation. In fact, senior linebacker Jordan Piper is still trying to figure out how such a decision could be made when most of the voters have yet to see the 2012 Colonels up-close and in-person.
“I look at it as they’re not here watching what we’re doing and seeing our mentality, so what people say, I could care less. We just have to prove people wrong,” Piper said.
Junior quarterback Landry Klann agrees with his teammate and says the only way to prove them wrong
is by “winning games.” Klann also said that it was expected after winning five total games in the past two seasons.
In order for the Colonels to get back to their winning ways, they must first adjust to a change at quarterback. During the spring, senior quarterback LaQuinton Caston made the switch to wide receiver, where he is expecting to not only play receiver but also to operate the wildcat offense.
“The spring was kind of like the building blocks, and the coaches prepared me well,” Caston said. “They always had confidence in me to make plays. It’s still football so it’s all about getting out there and having fun.”
Stubbs said the transition is going well.
“He can do something with the ball in his hands but he needs to finish some plays down the field as a receiver,” Stubbs said.
And while Klann has received reps with the first team, the Colonels have yet to name a starter at quarterback for the upcoming season. Actually, Stubbs said anything is possible right now, including a two-quarterback system.
 “I have a lot of things going on at that position,” Stubbs said. “(Klann) has made progress, but he’s inconsistent right now. Beaux Hebert has to get healthy, and once he gets healthy, I really believe he’ll push Landry a lot.”
Though the Colonels were overlooked in the standings, they did land four players on the SLC preseason All-Conference list.
Making the first-team for the Colonels was tight end Nick Scelfo and senior punter Cory Kemps, while senior running back Jesse Turner and junior running back Marcus Washington garnered the two spots on the second-team.
The Colonels season kicks off Sept. 1 when they play in Corvallis, Ore. against FBS opponent, Oregon State. According to Stubbs, it’ll most likely be “the best team” the Colonels play all season long.