Sumar Leslie signs pro contract

Sumar Leslie, guard senior from Houma, passes the ball to her teammate during the Lamar game Saturday, January 28.

Former Nicholls State women’s basketball standout Sumar Leslie has signed her first professional contract with the Ammerud Queens in Norway.
      Growing up in Houma, basketball was a hobby and also a teaching method for her.
    “Basketball has given me a reason to work hard in life,” Leslie said. “When I realized I wanted to go further in this sport, I developed the aspiration to play professionally.”
      While attending Vandebilt Catholic High School in Houma, Leslie totaled school records in points, steals and assists while being named to the all-state team twice. From there, she attended the University of Louisiana at Monroe, transferring to Nicholls midway through her sophomore year.
      During her senior campaign as a Colonel, Leslie garnered all-Southland conference and all-Louisiana team recognition. She led the team in steals and scoring with an average of 2.6 steals per game and 15.6 points per game, placing first in the conference in steals and sixth in scoring. Leslie was also third in the conference in assists.
     However, Leslie’s junior year did not run as smoothly. She started 12 of 13 games and then suffered a season-ending knee injury. She was a team leader in steals, points and assists at the time of her injury. As a whole, Leslie is very appreciative of her experience at Nicholls.
      “I knew that dedication and hard work would get me where I wanted to go,” Leslie said. “Always keep God first. I had tears of joy because it felt good to have met my goal. My work ethic in college and after has now prepared me for the next level. I have worked out hard to get where I am now. I am ready for the next level; this is what I have been preparing for my whole life.”
     Leslie plans to stay grounded, refusing to let the fame and fortune change her.
     “My life has changed for the better,” Leslie said. “I am now a professional basketball player and I am working harder now. As far as finances are concerned, money won’t change who I am.”
     At her core, underneath the jerseys and inside of her high-tops, she is woman who admits her favorite hobby is shopping and singing at every opportunity. If you search for her on YouTube, beyond the basketball highlights and postgame interviews, you will discover videos of her belting out some of her favorite tunes.   
     In order to fund the necessary equipment and travel expenses to train, Leslie created a profile on the website Gofundme.com to receive donations from people who wanted to help her along the journey.
 Aside from her recent signing, Leslie has spread her wings into the endorsement world. She is affiliated with Shock H20 energy water, Wicked Audio and HairZing.
     “The opportunity to be a part of a new movement like Shock is truly a blessing,” Leslie said. “It is something new and will help many athletes around the world. Wicked Audio is also another nice deal because I love music as well.”
      Even as a professional, Leslie enjoys the game of basketball and is still working hard to continue to improve.
     “Basketball is my love and passion,” Leslie said. “It is something I have been doing since the age of seven. I love the game and I will continue to do everything in my power to get better. It makes me feel so good inside. I know that God has given me the gift and by choice I decided to work harder at the game. Dreams do come true.”
    As any basketball patron would be, Leslie is excited to embark on her new journey in life, a journey that will encompass 4,804 miles to the Scandinavian wonderland.
    “I know playing will be a great experience and I will make the best of it,” Leslie said. “I’ve always wanted a championship ring and I will make that happen. I never got it in high school or college, but I’m more than focused to make it happen now. It’s that time. Norway, here I come.”