UFC 136 proved worthy of hype

A war for the ages, shocking upset, amazing comeback and the greatest promo in Ultimate Fighting Championship history all made UFC 136 one of the greatest pay-per views of all time, and lucky for me, I was able to witness it all live in Houston, Texas.

If you have never been to a UFC event live, you do not know what you are missing. This was not my first UFC event, so I knew exactly how great it would be considering the fight card UFC 136 had put together.

By the time the first fight on PPV came to fruition, my heart was racing, and the adrenaline was pumping. Everyone was under the impression that if Melvin Guillard beat Joe Lauzon, he would be the next to fight for the lightweight championship, but someone forgot to deliver Lauzon the memo.

The fight did not last long as Lauzon clipped Guillard and jumped on his back as he sunk in a rare-naked choke. Guillard was forced to tap, and the place went crazy.

While that fight played spoiler, the second fight on the PPV was nothing short of a war. Nam Phan and Leonard Garcia went into battle inside the octagon, and it turned out to be the slugfest of all slugfests.

I have seen a lot of MMA fights in my day, and that is a fight that I will remember for the rest of my life. It was not the greatest fight I have ever seen, but it is definitely in the top five.

Phan won the decision, and that fight should be a lock for fight of the year.

After the fight of the century took place, Chael Sonnen made his long-awaited return to the octagon when he battled Stann. He submitted Stann in the second round via arm triangle choke, and the greatest post fight interview ever occurred.

Sonnen, known for his outlandish remarks and hilarious interviews, grabbed the microphone and called out Anderson Silva to accept “the biggest re-match in the business.”

Sonnen followed up by proposing a “loser leaves town fight.” He said if he won, Silva would have to leave the middleweight division, and if Silva won, Sonnen would leave the UFC. The crowd went crazy and Silva, being shown on the big screen as a spectator, made a face at Sonnen’s remarks.

The co-main event between Jose Aldo and Kenny Florian was a little underwhelming but was still a decent fight, but it was all hands on deck for the main event.

The final fight of the evening between Gray Maynard and Frankie Edgar was, well, like their second fight from January 1 this year. Maynard rocked Edgar in the first round and nearly finished him again, and just like their second fight earlier this year, Edgar was able to survive.

Edgar won the next two rounds and then in the fourth round dropped Maynard and finished him with a technical knockout. It was an amazing performance to cap off an amazing night of fights.

I still cannot believe I was able to witness those amazing fights live, and I am still buzzing over the event. If you are a fight fan at all and the UFC comes anywhere near you, do not hesitate to attend the event. It is worth it.