Colonels find mixed results early in the season

+The+womens+soccer+team+runs+along+side+coach+Dylan+Harrison+at+Mondays+practice.%09+
Photo by: Drew Miller
The women’s soccer team runs along side coach Dylan Harrison at Monday’s practice.

The Nicholls State soccer team is nearly two weeks into the season and the Colonels are second in the conference in goals, goals per game, shots, points and assists while posting a 1-1-1 record. 
The Colonels won their first game of the season 5-0 against Spring Hill on Aug. 19, tied UL-Monroe 1-1 on Aug. 21 and lost to Liscomb 3-1 on Aug. 26. Nicholls’ head coach Dylan Harrison had mixed feelings about the way his Colonels have played so far this season and is happy that his team has been able to put a couple of  “full games together.”
“One of the things we’ve been working on over the past few years is putting a full game together, and with a few slip-ups here and there I believe we put together a few full games, especially the overtime game,” Harrison said. “We’re going to have little mistakes this early in this season, so I feel good kind about where we are. But it’s just a little bit of a disappointment that we didn’t get the result we were hoping for, and that’s what we’re going to work on to improve.”
The Colonels’ younger players have made an immediate impact so far this season as sophomore midfielder Alexandra Marino and freshman forward Kristy Tatom each lead the Colonels in goals with two a piece. Marino scored the only goal in the double overtime tie to ULM in front of a crowd of as many as 150-200 people according to Harrison. Harrison said the Colonels fought hard but also said that he does not believe in moral victories.
“Like I said, we played well enough to win in a lot of the categories by outshooting them 21-8, and nine times out of 10, that indicates a game you should win,” Harrison said. “Even though we played well, at the end of the day what we get judged on is winning games and there’s no misinterpretation from my team. That’s what we want to do.”
Harrison was thrilled about the support the Colonels’ fans have shown for the soccer team and encouraged even more fans to come.
 “That’s great, and I want to thank everybody for coming out,” Harrison said. “Hopefully we’re able to set the tone for what we’re going to be able to do all year at home and put on some entertaining games. You don’t even have to be a true soccer fan to appreciate the effort that our team puts out. Hopefully we continue with it and continue to see those faces out there.”
The Colonels will now shift their focus toward playing Troy and South Alabama in Troy, Ala. over the weekend. Nicholls will play Troy on Friday at 3 p.m. and then play South Alabama Sunday at noon. Harrison is eager to see how his Colonels do on the road.
“It’s more vindictive of what we’re going to see throughout the season in terms of two very tough games on the road,” Harrison said. “It’s more vindictive of what to expect in our conference and how we put together a full weekend on the road is what’s going to be important for us.”