Colonels open season with blackout at home

Quarterback Laquintin Caston runs plays with the offense at practice on Saturday.

To kick off this season of Nicholls State football, the Colonels will host the Crusaders of Evangel University in what is being considered a Blackout game this Thursday at 6:30 p.m.

As the theme “Blackout” would suggest the athletic department asks fans to wear black attire to the game in support of the Colonels.  Business sophomore from New Orleans, Ty-vonta Anthony, is looking forward to this week’s contest.

Coach Charlie Stubbs is hopeful for a good turnout and charged atmosphere at this week’s game.

“I do not think the situation could be any better,” Stubbs said. “We are opening up the season at home on a Thursday night. A lot of students should be available, so we should be able to attract a very good crowd. I hope that people come to check out what Nicholls football has to offer,” Coach Stubbs said.

Since fall practice has begun, the team has competed against one another every day, which has whetted their appetite for a different opponent. In this case, Evangel is that suitor.

“Our guys are tired of going against each other.  At this point, you want to play someone different.  Since this is our first game, we will learn a lot about where we are as a team,” Stubbs said.

“Being part of the Blackout game is a great way for students to come together and get involved,” Anthony said. “The atmosphere will be very hyped up, especially since it is the first game of the season.  I am expecting everyone to be out there and all riled up. The game should be crazy, so I am very excited to be attending.”

With the season rapidly approaching, the coaches have been working out different groups of players on both sides of the ball. According to Coach Stubbs, however, now they will begin honing in on specific combinations because now they are playing to win games.

Both with clean slates and unblemished records, Nicholls and Evangel alike look to start the season with a win Thursday night. One key to a Colonel victory will be their refusal to relent.

“We are expecting to compete against a very good football team. Evangel will come in hungry with a lot of optimism toward their season.  We already have a good attitude, but I want our kids to play relentless: if we can play fast and physical, then I believe we will be in a good situation to win,” Stubbs said.