Nicholls Nation brings school spirit back

on Monday in the Office of Development in Candies Hall. From left, Kaity Mattsson, marketing senior from Bracebridge, Ontario; Carolyn Noble, public relations junior from Burlington, Ontario; Hillary Clark, freshman from Tallahassee, Fla.; Jake Martin, print journalism sophomore from Vidalia; Lacey Angeron, broadcast journalism junior from Patterson; Andrew Kearney, higher education graduate student from Stanton, Mich.; and Katelyn Thibodeaux, print journalism and public relations junior from Ma

Nicholls students collaborated to make a new student group called Nicholls Nation to instill Colonel pride in fellow students.

The main function of the group is to promote Nicholls, using Nicholls’ athletics to unify the student body.

Ministry of education and higher education graduate student Andrew Kearney came up with the idea and called upon other students to join him in making the group.

“Using athletics is a way to restore pride back into the students,” Kearney said.

Kearney is using this group as his practicum for his master’s and wanted to make a difference for his school in the process. Nicholls Nation has yet to become a student organization, but hopes to do so by the end of the week as Kearney meets with assistant director of the Student Union Melvin Harrison.

“I just noticed that there isn’t a united student base at games, and I started talking to people about the absence of pride at Nicholls State,” Kearney said.

Public relations junior Carolyn Noble will become the interim president of the organization.

“I think it’s a good idea that should have been started a long time ago,” Noble said. “I think it’s going to be a really good thing once people do get involved.”

When Kearney needed help from fellow students, broadcasting junior Lacey Angeron stepped up.

“We want to entice students to become more involved in things,” Angeron said.

Kearney is backed by the associate director of advertising marketing and development Brandon Ruttley. Ruttley graduated from Nicholls and played basketball for the Colonels. Ruttley is confident that he will get a deal done with Raising Canes, and Raising Canes will become an official sponsor.

“He supports us 100 percent,” Kearney said. “This organization is going to run through him. I’ve talked to him, I don’t know many times, about doing little things, but like everything in life, you need money. Right now, we’re just trying to build some interest.”

Nicholls Nation had their first function as a group Saturday when they tailgated before the game. They provided free food and music for anyone who wanted to come to tailgate before the game.

Kearney explained that with the Colonels recently bit by the injury bug, the students are going to have to show up and do their part in showing support.

“They’re going to have to battle,” Kearney said. “They’ve got some injury problems, and they’re going to need all the support they can get.”

Angeron was very passionate in trying to recruit more students to come and show their support.

“Why not become involved with something that’s so easy to become involved in,” Angeron said. “Why sit around in your dorm room, apartment or parents’ house all day? Come hang out with your peers who care about the same things that you do and who want the same kind of experience. Have fun. Don’t be weird, get Colonel crazy instead.”

Nicholls Nation plans on doing more events in the future, and they have a Facebook page to let fans know what they’re going to do in advance. The group asks that students spread the word and show their school spirit by showing up.

“It’s a great opportunity to really enjoy the college experience,” Kearney said.