Pettis and Henderson set for collision course

After defeating Frankie Edgar to become the new lightweight champion at UFC 144 last night, it looks like Benson Henderson will get a rematch with Mr. Showtime himself, Anthony Pettis.

UFC 144 was an absolutely incredible pay-per-view. With Pettis’ first round head kick knockout over Joe Lauzon, Tim Boetsch’s remarkable comeback victory against Yushin Okami, Mark Hunt’s first round knockout of Cheick Kongo, and Edgar and Henderson’s amazing fight, this card was a crowd-pleaser to say the least.

And with Pettis and Henderson’s victories, the real winners are the fans. It’s cliché and corny, but it is the absolute truth. There is no way the UFC doesn’t set up a rematch between Henderson and Pettis after that event.

For those that didn’t see the first fight between Pettis and Henderson, it was one of the greatest title fights in MMA history. The fight took place in what used to be the UFC’s sister promotion in World Extreme Cagefighting, and actually, the title fight was the last fight in WEC history.

The WEC had a knack for putting on great shows, and when Pettis and Henderson took the center of the cage for the WEC lightweight championship in December of 2010, they tore the house down. They traded strikes, and they traded grappling exchanges and submission attempts throughout the fight.

There were moments where Pettis had the advantage and Henderson’s back with a body triangle, and later in the fight, Henderson had Pettis’ back with a rear-naked choke locked in. Both fighters were able to escape the positions, and as the fight went into later rounds, I realized it was one of the best fights I have ever seen.

The fight was a back-and-forth affair, as both men were so evenly matched. When the fight entered the fifth and final round, Pettis made his mark on the MMA world. Leaping off of the cage with his right foot, Pettis torqued his body and landed that right foot to Henderson’s face. It would forever be known as the Showtime kick. The kick dropped Henderson to the canvas, but Pettis was unable to finish him.

The kick was the ultimate decider in the fight and gave the close decision to Pettis. To this day, I have never seen a more incredible move in MMA, and I highly doubt that I ever will. The fight was an instant classic, and I can’t help but smile when I think about both of these fighters mixing it up again.

Henderson has only lost one fight in his last 15 fights and Pettis is that only loss, and with Pettis looking as spectacular as he did last night, who wouldn’t want to see this rematch?

If the UFC chooses to make the rematch happen, which is more than likely the case, you can guarantee that it will be another showstopper.