Re-election debate ends 65-44, con

The Nicholls community attended the third speech forum of the 2011-2012 year Tuesday in Peltier Auditorium where it was resolved that President Obama’s job performance does not justify his re-election with the vote of 65-44, con.

The pro speaker (in favor of Obama being re-elected) was Chase Lottinger, history sophomore from Houma, and the con speaker (not in favor of Obama being re-elected) was Samantha Shinn, freshman from Prairieville.

Main issues that were brought up from both speakers were about the national deficit. Both speakers explained that this is a big issue that has either helped us or brought us into a bigger debt.

Lottinger argued that Obama’s performance does justify his re-election because of his ending of the Iraq War and his economic and domestic policies.

“We are now reinvesting in America, instead of destroying others,” Lottinger said. “All of Obama’s policies encompass the ideals of preserving and growing the middle class.”

Lottinger talked about his nephew that was born with a rare genetic disorder. He is a healthy two-year old baby because Obama has created healthcare for the middle class and lower class.

“A quote by Obama is ‘If you’re walking down the right path, and you’re willing to keep walking, then eventually we will make progress,'” Lottinger said. “We are on the right path so let’s keep walking.”

Shinn argued that Obama’s job performance does not justify his re-election because of his increase in the national deficit and the cuts of military funding.

“Just think about waking up like it is a regular day and you get a bill for 3.5 billion dollars,” Shinn said. “What could this bill mean? It represents how much each student from Nicholls will have to pay in order to pay off the national debt.”

Shinn continued to talk about Obama holding the record for having increased the most debt over one presidency term.

“If President Obama has his way, some people will not remain in the military long because he plans to downsize the military,” Shinn said. “Yes, we did find Osama Bin Laden and yes, he has brought back the troops from Iraq, but is now really the time to downsize?”

Shinn explained that Obama plans to reduce the military by over 120,000 troops. She concluded with an analogy of comparing Obama to the gingerbread man by letting his guard down by decreasing the military troops and letting the fox, such as other countries, pose a threat to the country.

The con side won 65-44 after tallying the votes. The Nicholls community has decided that Obama should not be re-elected based on his job performance.

The next speech forum is March 26 and it is undecided on the next topic that will be debated.