Colonel outfield is led by experienced starters and newcomers

Junior outfielder, Megan Gaspard from Coteau, LA tosses a ball in from center field at practice on Thursday, March 10th.

The Colonels outfield returns three starters and adds three newcomers for the 2011 softball season.

Leading the Colonels outfield this season is junior Megan Gaspard who has started every game for the Colonels this season. The Coteau, LA. native leads the team in runs scored (15), stolen bases (4) and total plate appearances with 82.

Last season, Gaspard started all 47 games and was named to Third Team All-Southland. She was ranked 12th in hits and eighth in stolen bases in the Southland Conference and she had an impressive team-high .311 batting average. Gaspard led the team for the second straight year in at-bats (167), hits (52), stolen bases (16) and stolen base attempts (17).

According to Gaspard, her biggest asset to the team is her speed. “I can cover a lot of ground in a little bit of time,” Gaspard said. “I can run down a lot of balls.”

Meanwhile, Gaspard says her role as a teammate is bringing experience and leadership to the young Colonel squad. “I’m a veteran now, I know my position really well and I know the outfield really well,” Gaspard said.

Head softball coach Jenny Parsons looks to Gaspard as a leader in the outfield. “She’s a catalyst out there both offensively and defensively,” Parsons said.

Also impacting the Colonel outfield this season is Junior Laine Stickland. Last season, the Austin, TX. native appeared in 41 games making 37 starts for the Colonels. Strickland hit .183 for the year and had 13 hits with one home run in 71 at bats. Strickland finished the season with a .927 fielding percentage on the year.  

According to Strickland her biggest asset to the Colonels is her arm, and Coach Parsons agrees. “She has the best arm on the team,” Coach Parsons said.

Despite her best arm title, Strickland believes being a positive all around teammate is a big part of her role on the Colonels. “I think being a good teammate and picking people up when they get their chance to do things is important,” Strickland said.

Strickland says the team has changed throughout her three seasons here in a positive way. “The overall attitude is more positive and the people here are more positive,” Strickland said. “We want to have a positive experience here and get along and have a good time and win some ball games this year.”

Also adding to the Colonels outfield is sophomore Lauren Batiz who has started nine games for the Colonels this season. Last season, Batiz started 31 of 36 games and finished with a .242 batting average.  Batiz also had 22 hits including two doubles and three home runs and had 33 totals bases for a .363 slugging percentage.

So far this season, Batiz is ranked second on the team in doubles (3) and third on the team in stolen bases (3).  

Batiz says her favorite thing about being an outfielder is the thrill. “I like the thrill of running for the ball and not knowing if you’re going to catch it,” Batiz said. “Being an outfielder is just a lot more movement than being in the infield.”

Freshman Lauren Jolivette has had an immediate impact on the Colonel outfield in her first season at Nicholls. She has started 15 games for the Colonels already this season and is ranked third on the team in runs scored (10) and fifth on the team with in hits (10).     

At Catholic New Iberia High School, Jolivette was named First-Team All-State and Academic All-State as a senior. She was also a member of the West All-Star Team.

As a Colonel, Jolivette says her role on the team is to get the job done however she can. “When I’m up to bat, I have to get the job done and score the runs,” Jolivette said. “My role is to make sure I’m doing what I have to do to come up with a win.”

Rounding out the Colonel outfield are newcomers Kat Angeles and Maddie Locke.

The Colonels head into the weekend hoping to improve their 7-14 record when they host the Texas A&M – Corpus Christi Islanders.

Junior outfielder, Megan Gaspard from Coteau, LA scopes up a ground ball from center field at Thursday’s practice.