Football looks to get first conference win Sat.

Senior wide receiver Joshua Warren from Baton Rouge gets hit from his right side by an oppenent from Northwestern State.

Nicholls was defeated 34-0 by the Demons of Northwestern State in its Southland Conference opener but looks to rebound with a win versus Texas State.

According to head coach Charlie Stubbs, his team lacked two key components of success.

“There are two things I tell our guys that they need to have when they come out and play,” Stubbs said. “You got to have a great mindset and attitude, and you have to play with tremendous enthusiasm and effort. We did not have either one of them coming out of the gate anywhere.”

Lackluster performances on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball limited the Colonels. After averaging over 182 rushing yards per game thus far in the season, the Colonels only managed 81 yards on the ground.

Junior quarterback LaQuintin Caston, the starter of the previous three games, was substituted for the redshirted freshman Beaux Hebert, who later had to leave the game because of cramps.

The defense allowed 396 total offensive yards, almost 100 more than their average. Junior linebacker Jordan Piper led the team with 11 tackles, and senior defensive back Bobby Felder added an interception to the Nicholls defensive effort.

Moving forward with a game versus Texas State this weekend, the Colonels are looking to rebound and respond with a better performance against the Bobcats.

“Our response this week has been well so far,” Stubbs said. “Our players understand that in order to be successful, they must come out with a great attitude. The next step is the need to play a relentless brand of football. Once these two are accomplished, the success becomes a matter of execution.”

Who will be starting at quarterback is still undetermined, but both Caston and Hebert will most likely play.

“Both LaQuintin and Beaux have their strengths, but they also have their weaknesses,” Stubbs said. “I really believe both will play this weekend. Who will be named the starter will be decided in practice this week over the next two days.”

The main emphasis for Nicholls this week will be their relentlessness, Stubbs emphasized.

“Coming in to this game, we will enter a great atmosphere for college football,” Stubbs said. “We know this game will be a big challenge, but I expect to come out with a great start and play as a team.”

The Colonels will play Texas State on Saturday at 6 p.m. in San Marcos, Texas.