That MMA Guy

Hyped up matches disspoint at Fight Night

UFC’s Ultimate Fight Night Saturday had its fair share of exciting moments, but the co-main event and main event left most fans with a bitter taste in their mouths.

The show was headlined by MMA legend Antônio Rogério “Lil’ Nog'” Nogueira taking on the highly-touted prospect Phil Davis. Now don’t get me wrong, I didn’t have high expectations for this fight to begin with because I thought that with Nogueira’s recent struggles with wrestlers, Davis would wrestle his way to a unanimous victory. This is, in fact, what happened when these two met, but you have to give credit to Nogueira as he stopped a lot of the take-downs.

Davis got the unanimous decision and continues to state his case as a future contender for the light heavyweight belt. The fight that bothered me the most was the co-main event, a fight that everyone was predicting to be fight of the night.

Dan Hardy stepped in to take on Anthony Johnson in what everyone presumed to be a stand up war. Both men possess some of the best stand up in the division, and instead of trading with Hardy, Johnson took the fight to the ground and did very little damage while he was there.

I can’t completely blame Johnson for wrestling Hardy, just don’t get the fans hyped up by saying you’re going to stand and trade until someone gets knocked out. What was thought to be fight of the night turned out to be the worst fight of the night. Johnson isn’t the only one to blame here; however, Hardy needs to work on his takedown defense and ground game. Hardy may never get a chance to knock another opponent out again, because all his opponents will take the fight to the ground until he stops a takedown.

The fights that stole the show for the fight night were Chan Sung Jung vs. Leonard Garcia II and Amir Sadollah vs. Demarques Johnson. Everyone was anticipating the rematch of 2010’s Fight of the Year winner between Garcia and Jung. Garcia showed more of his technical side in this fight, but Jung got the victory after implementing a jiu-jitsu move that has never been done inside the octagon before. Jung submitted Garcia with a jiu-jitsu move called the twister in the second round in another great fight between these two.

Sadollah showcased his superior Muay Thai skills in his second round TKO victory over Johnson. Sadollah brings it every time and is a joy to watch because of his technique. All in all, the UFC delivered another solid show. I was just disappointed that Hardy and Johnson’s fight didn’t live up to the hype.