Tips for making the best out of upcoming spring break

It is that time of year again that gives every college student the “Christmas morning” kind of feeling, but in April: SPRING BREAK!

You have probably been aware of this much-needed hiatus from school due to the numerous Facebook statuses proclaiming your friends’ trips to the gym and tanning beds.

After a semester-and-a-half’s worth of class, homework, exams and headaches, the students at Nicholls State University will be given one week off as a vacation from the stressful daily life that plagues most students. While the majority of Nicholls students return home to see loved ones and old friends, some adventurous souls will venture to different destinations, hoping to experience bright sun, refreshing water, clean sand, thirst-quenching beverages and hordes of scantily clad people who are ready to party.

A large portion of the Nicholls student body will be flocking to the sands of Panama City Beach to spend their free time having fun under the Florida sun. Here is a list of the essentials you may need: the right type of clothing to pack, games to play on the ride, ways to save money, possible hotels to stay at, attractions to visit and dine at, and finally precautionary measures to take to have a safe and enjoyable trip to the Sunshine State.

What to pack?

First of all, make sure you have the right attitude because this is the time to relax and have fun. So leave all of your worries, inhibitions, and especially thoughts of school at home! With every trip to the beach comes the need for warm weather clothing. Therefore, leave your jeans, jacket, long sleeves, as well as socks and tennis shoes at home. Instead, trade them in for a bathing suit, some flip-flops or deck shoes, a hat, and a pair of sunglasses. Also, do not forget an oversized towel and most importantly, sunscreen. No one wants to be the “lobster” walking around the beach after not having put any sunscreen on the day before.

It is all about the Benjamins.

Every college student has a budget, and normally it is a small one. This puts an added importance on the curbing of unnecessary spending, especially on a trip such as this one that can become quite pricey. There are a couple of ways to conserve your money while on vacation. First, you will need to car pool with as many people as you can fit so that gas money can be divided more ways. Hotel accommodations fit the same mode, meaning, the more people you squeeze into your room, the less you will have to pay out of your own pocket. These situations might lead to uncomfortable sleeping arrangements as well as moments, but after all, college is all about “the experience” and the memories that follow. Also, frugally spending money on food and alcohol goes a long way. Grocery shopping at the beginning of your trip, and getting food to cook in your room will save you a lot of money. If you can resist the urge to frequent expensive restaurants and pricey nightclubs, then you will be doing yourself and your checking account a big favor.

Games for the road

Who says you have to wait until you arrive at your destination to have fun? Usually, playing a game on the ride will help pass time. Instead of playing on your smart phone or tablet in solitude, try an interactive game for a change. There is no better way to do this than by playing the Animal game. The object of the game is to guess the animal that your friend has chosen by asking a question that can be easily answered with yes or no. For example, if someone chose a turtle as their animal, I could ask if the animal lives in water. Their answer would be yes, therefore narrowing the possible candidates that the animal could be. Whether you play with animals such as a tiger, or even a blue-footed booby (believe it or not, it is a real bird), I assure you, you will have a good time playing. Old-fashioned ideas such as card games and I Spy are also good options to prevent boredom.

A bed and a place to lay your head

Once you enter Panama City, the real fun begins. Before you plunge into the ocean or crack open a cold one, you will need to find and check into to your hotel. Panama City Beach is filled with resorts and hotels that accommodate thousands of guests. If you have yet to book your room, you should look into that as soon as possible because other schools such as LSU, as well as many others throughout the South share the same week for spring break. Popular places Nicholls students have stayed at in the past have been The Ambassador, The Legacy by the Sea and the Origin at the Sea Haven.

What to do and where to go?

Those who choose to not sleep all day and stay out all night, or those looking to divert from the repetition of going to the beach will need something to occupy them during the day. Some attractions in the surrounding area include a Ripley’s, Believe It or Not museum and Gulf World, which houses marine life and allows visitors to interact with them. Both places are relatively cheap, pricing at $15 and $27 respectively. For the shopping enthusiasts and movie-goers, Pier Park is the perfect place to spend time and money due to the variety of shops and a 16-screen, state-of-the-art theatre.

What is a vacation without good food and some alcohol to lighten the mood?

According to Urbanspoon, the top moderately priced restaurants are Sweet Racks, which is famous for its barbecue, and Marco’s Gulf Pizza, which offers pizza, sandwiches, and vegetarian meals. Shuckum’s Oyster Pub and Grill is a very popular spot for Nicholls’ vacationers to visit. There are also multiple options for those who enjoy Thai, Chinese, and Japanese cuisine such as Oishi Thai & Sushi, Jin Jin, and Shan Kushi, which are affordable. There is no better way to finish off a delicious meal than with a couple of drinks from any one of a number of bars and nightclubs that this Florida paradise has to offer. Patrons of night life can choose between exciting venues such as Tiki Bar, Hammerhead Fred’s, Big Kahuna, Pineapple Willies, and one of Panama City’s most popular attractions, Club La Vela.

Please drink responsibly

I am going to assume all those who will consume alcohol will be over 21 years old. Here are two delicious recipes for the perfect tropical beverage. For this frozen margarita, you will need 3 oz tequila, juice from two freshly squeezed limes, 1/2 cup crushed ice, two lime slices, and coarse salt. Rub rim of cocktail glass with a lime slice, then dip rim into salt. Toss tequila, lime juice, and ice into blender. Blend on high until smooth. Pour into cocktail glass. Garnish with remaining lime slice. Next, you need 1 oz Malibu rum, 1/2 oz Amaretto, 4 oz, orange juice, and1/2 oz Grenadine.

Shake the rum, amaretto, and orange juice with ice. Pour into a glass half filled with crushed ice. Top with grenadine. Garnish with a pineapple wedge and a strawberry, and voila! You have just successfully made a “Day at the Beach.”

Now please act responsibly

Even though everyone will be having fun, you must be very careful to ensure that you will leave Florida just as you came to it. When in the sun, make sure to protect yourself adequately with sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat. Nothing is worse than a ruined vacation because it hurts too badly to venture outside and do something fun. Depending on how far you go into the water, certain risks such as sharks and undertows increase. So you must be very careful when doing so, especially if you have been consuming alcohol. Other potential conflicts can arise when participating in illegal activity such as underage drinking, drunk driving or fighting. Limiting your chances of experiencing one of these things will greatly affect the amount of fun you have.

Are we there yet?

Since you are now prepared and informed for your trip to Florida, I wish you a happy and safe trip. Remember to represent Nicholls well, and lastly, bon voyage!