Ten things to do before you graduate

Every college students has a list of things they want to accomplish before they graduate. Whether it is skipping class or releasing a wild painted pig in the administration hall, everyone wants to do something they may or may not regret before going out into “the real world.” In an attempt to stray away from the clichés like “take an exam drunk” or “skinny dip in the fountains,” here are a few ideas of what to put on your college bucket list: Nicholls edition.

1. Live or spend at least one night in a residence hall.

Besides the late-night stirring of roommates, the occasional post-sunset fire alarm pull, and the stomping of the people living on the floor above you (I’m convinced Paul Bunyan lives above me), there are a lot of benefits to living on campus. One being that you save quite a bit of your hard-earned money on gas, and two being that when you have a class canceled, instead of waiting in the Union for your next one, you can head up to your residence hall and engage an extension on that three-hour-sorry-excuse-of-a-nap you got last night.

2. Visit the third floor of Powell/White Hall.

What’s that? You didn’t even know it existed? Neither did I until my search for bathroom graffiti last year. I’ll sum it up for you like this: there are little to no lights up there, and the only rooms that were up there were locked. All I’m going to say is thank God there was no bathroom for me to explore up there, because I was certain that I would find a dead body or something. I expect the next season of “Ghost Hunters” to visit there.

3. Enjoy a cookies and cream smoothie from Jazzman’s Café.

Imagine someone took all of your favorite things in life and blended them into one delicious, twelve- to sixteen-ounce concoction of awesomeness. Sure, those spring break abs you’re working on will probably hate you, but the “Project X” style party going on in your mouth with make up for it.

4. Go to a midnight breakfast during homecoming week/Mardi Gras.

Did the president of the University just serve you grits and eggs? You bet he did. This one-night-a-semester event will be one of the only times you’ll have trouble finding a seat in the cafeteria, but it is so worth getting the chance to tell your teacher, “yes, I would like bacon with that.”

5. Participate in a Humans Versus Zombies game.

HvZ is another event that happens once a semester. It is that crazy week where you see people wearing orange bandanas on their arms and heads and channel their inner Rambo in an epic battle of Nerf guns and sock throwing. Yeah, it might seem a little childish, but who doesn’t like to be a kid every once in a while? I witnessed my first zombie ambush just two weeks ago during this semester’s game and watched one human take out fifteen zombies at once. This stuff is serious business.

6. Watch one of the games between the Nicholls faculty and the women’s soccer team.

Once a year, across the street from the football stadium, faculty, teachers, department heads, deans and coaches join together for a match against the Nicholls soccer team. The best part about this game, aside from watching your teachers getting owned on the field, is the trash talking. Listening to teachers and players talk smack to each other is up there with one of the funniest things I’ve experienced during my college career.

7. Read an issue of The Nicholls Worth.

You can go ahead and check this one off now. Moving right along…

8. Go to at least one Nicholls Relate program.

Nicholls Relate is an open-mic night that takes place several times every semester that gives students and teachers an opportunity to showcase their talents. Whether it is through poetry, spoken word, dancing or singing, there is a plethora of very talented people on campus. This is a chance to not only see what others have to offer, but also a chance for you to show everyone what you’ve got.

9. Attend at least one “Alive At Five” event during homecoming.

Homecoming week is always full of events and activities for students to participate in. One of the biggest events is “Alive At Five,” an evening full of activity booths from various organizations. Several big-named artists and bands top off the night with performances that you definitely won’t forget.

10. Attend a production by the Nicholls Players.

I know what you’re thinking, ‘theater isn’t really that cool to me.’ That is where you are wrong. The first Nicholls Players production that I attended was last year’s “Big Love,” and I can tell you that I have watched every production since then. The Nicholls Players do a fantastic job in every one of their performances, and I can promise you that you will not be disappointed.