Instructor teaches karate at Nicholls

Photo by: Bridget Mire
Karate instructor Jimmy Ellis demonstrates a stance during the Karate Club’s meeting on Tuesday in Shaver Dance Studio.

Founded in September of 2004, the Nicholls State Karate Club has since then managed to provide training and knowledge to both teachers and students who are interested in martial arts.

Sensei Jimmy Ellis, M.D., a physician from Thibodaux Regional Medical Center and a credited second degree black belt in Shotokan Karate, has lead the way for this expanding club on the Nicholls campus. With over eleven years of experience in karate, Ellis has trained with both the Louisiana State University and Tulane Karate Clubs. Ellis has brought his knowledge of martial arts to Thibodaux, where he prides himself on sharing his knowledge with all who are interested.

“I would like to think the members learn a lot about martial arts, and the club gives them the opportunity to compete,” Ellis said.

Through the Nicholls Karate Club, the members are able to not only develop their karate skills, but they are given the chance to progress through the ranks of different belt types. According to Ellis, the club holds belt tests each semester, and these are good opportunities to further validate its member’s knowledge and skills of martial arts.

Teaching the skill and knowledge of martial arts is an important part of the Nicholls State Karate Club, but the club also provides a platform for proving its members’ skills against live competition. The club holds sparring sessions and forms where the members can participate, and these sessions between members help them to prepare for bigger tournaments.

New Orleans, Louisiana is the site of the Nicholls State Karate Club’s version of the “Super Bowl.” Every April, members are given the opportunity to compete in the All-South Karate Tournament.

“The tournament has been going on for about forty years now, but for the last several years, we have had students compete and have some success,” Ellis said.

In this past year’s tournament, members Audrey Diket and Courtney Breaud won a gold and silver medal, respectively. Faculty member, James Irwin has won a silver medal in the men’s brown belt kata tournament.

With the guidance of Ellis, the Nicholls State Karate Club has been able to stand out at one of the biggest state-held tournaments. The club welcomes anyone who is interested in learning all types of martial arts styles. This club has benefited everyone from the enthusiasts of martial arts to ones looking for an alternative way to stay fit.

From stationed practices on the second floor of Shaver Gym on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, to the All-South Karate Tournament held once a year, the members of this club have benefited from its purpose. While its purpose may be to teach Shotokan Karate, members have gained a better physical fitness, knowledge of martial arts and mental discipline to endure while performing in events and in their everyday lives.

When asked about what the club means to her, Breaud replied, “It gives me good experience and helps me deal with the pressures. It helps build my confidence and gives me more self esteem.”