Men’s tennis gets underway while women’s gets delayed

Senior Natalia Zamora volleys during last year’s game against Southern.

The Nicholls State University men’s tennis team opened up their 2011 season on Monday against South Alabama.

The Colonels gave everything they had, but ended up losing 6-1. Sophomore Palash Tiwari dominated his opponent, winning 6-0, 6-2, in No. 5 singles. Sophomores Roy Knight and Dmitry Kozionov played strong as the top two returners, both battling their opponents to three sets.

Head coach Meenakshi Sundaram is optimistic for the rest of the season, “they’re all young, but they’re very, very talented.”

“I want to win Conference with the men,” Sundaram said.

The women have not started their season yet. The Colonels opening matchup on February 3rd, has been pushed back to February 9th, due to inclement weather this week.

Coach Sundaram’s expectations this year for the women’s team is to reach a goal that has never been accomplished here at Nicholls. “My expectations are for the women to finish in the top four in Conference, and to make it to conference,” Sundaram said. “They were like we’ve never made it to conference. I told them, I just reach for a bit beyond. If you want to get to the clouds, reach for the sky. That’s just how I work!”

Sundaram raved about how this tennis team, both men and women, is different. “The fun part about this team is that it’s a great bunch of kids,” Coach Sundaram said. “It’s a wonderful group of kids. I mean I’ve been with other schools before, but it’s just the camaraderie between these children, both the guys and the girls. It’s very unique. It’s like their one big extended family.”

Both men and women will be back in action Saturday when they travel to Edinburg, Texas, to take on Texas-Pan American in intraconference matchups.

Sophomore Dmitry Kozionov volleys during last year’s game against Alcorn State.