Wagenheim’s voice paints the picture

Sportscaster Mike Wagenheim serves as announcer for last week’s men’s basketball game against McNeese.

Memorable moments in sports are captured by the electric voice of broadcasters pouring their passion into the microphone. The Colonels have a man with this kind of passion calling their play-by-play in Mike Wagenheim.

Wagenheim will forever be the sound byte for one of the biggest wins in Nicholls history when the Colonels upset LSU in Baton Rouge two and a half months ago. Wagenheim calls that game his favorite moment since he’s been at Nicholls.

Wagenheim attended college at West Virginia University where he called women’s basketball games. But Wagenheim didn’t always want to be a sports broadcaster. His plans when he went to college were to become an investigative reporter.

Wagenheim applied for a job at the college radio station in the news department but no spots were open. Instead, he got a job as a sports broadcaster and 11 years later Wagenheim continues to put on the headset. He didn’t oppose calling sports because he grew up with a passion for it.

Wagenheim made his way to Nicholls after he worked for the University of New Orleans as a broadcast man. His relationship with athletic director Rob Bernardi was the main factor in getting Wagneheim to Thibodaux.

At first it was Wagenheim who tried to get Bernardi to come to New Orleans but things didn’t work out. Later, when a job opportunity opened up at Nicholls, Wagenheim became a Colonel.

Nicholls’ victory over LSU isn’t the only memorable moment this broadcaster has called. Wagenheim said two moments that will stick with him forever is when the Lady Mountaineers played at the University of Connecticut and when UNO overcame an eight-run deficit.

Over Wagenheim’s career, he’s called play-by-play for some great players including University of New Orleans’ Bo McCalebb and Nicholls’ Anatoly Bose.

Wagenheim says that McCalebb could do anything with a basketball. At UNO, McCalebb was the Sunbelt Conference Player of the Year and Sunbelt Conference Defensive Player of the Year the following year. McCalebb is now playing overseas and getting looks for an NBA roster spot.

Wagenheim says even though he got to watch the games for free, he would have paid to watch McCaleb play. Wagenheim compares McCalebb to Bose, but says that Bose is a better NBA prospect. According to Wagenheim, Bose “can do it all.”

“Bose can take you off the dribble, knock it down from the outside, make free throws and is a very good off ball defender,” Wagenheim said. “He’s just fun to watch.”

Wagenheim’s young career has already been filled with great memories with more sure to come. Another sure thing is whenever there’s a Colonel game being played; Wagenheim will be sitting there with his headset on saying “Geaux Colonels.”