Comedians share their stories

Rip Michaels performs at SPA Comedy Night in Peltier Auditorium on Monday.

Rip Michaels and Gary Owen graced the stage of Peltier Auditorium with their comedic abilities on Feb. 6 at the Student Programming Association’s Comedy Night.

Opening the night, Rip Michaels introduced himself to the Nicholls community. Michaels claims he was “hit” with the realization to do comedy during his college football career.

“I played football for Purdue University, and I actually got hit so hard, I was like ‘yeah, this shit is not going to work,'” he said.

Michaels, a native of Chicago, began chasing his comedic dreams in New York City about a decade ago. Though he was homeless for several months upon his arrival, he persevered and finally found success in the Big Apple.

He has been featured on television shows and in movies such as BET’s “Comic View,” “Law and Order” and the film, “Love Don’t Cost a Thing,” featuring fellow comedian Nick Cannon and actress Christina Milian.

Michaels will soon be seen on BET’s sitcom, “The Game,” starring Pooch Hall as Derwin Davis, the driving force behind the fictional football team the San Diego Sabers. Michaels portrays one of Davis’s teammates.

“I am going to try and suck my gut in and look like a football player,” Michaels said.

As Michaels wrapped up his segment, he introduced highly acclaimed comedian and actor Gary Owen of Cincinnati, Ohio.

The audience roared with anticipation as Owen took the stage. He makes it known that his comedic style is all his own.

“I don’t like to watch comedians or comedy shows because I don’t ever want to feel like my jokes aren’t mine,” he said. “So if someone says I have jokes similar to somebody, it’s because we thought alike.”

Owen has worked with a number of Hollywood heavyweights throughout his career including Tyler Perry. Owen’s star-studded list of colleagues also includes Eddie Murphy, Michael Ealy, Gabrielle Union, Kevin Hart, Taraji P. Henson and Jamie Foxx, who scored him the role of Clute in the 1999 film, “Held Up.” Owen said this was his most enjoyable film to work on to date.

“I was young and had never done a movie before. Jamie got me the part and then we were up in Canada shooting it,” he said. “We just hung out the whole time.”

Owen is set to star in the upcoming film, “Think Like a Man,” based on the best-selling book written by Steve Harvey. The film is set for release on April 20.

“It is going to be the blockbuster movie of 2012,” Owen said jokingly. ” It is going to be good though. It is already getting good reviews, it has a good soundtrack and they have already green lit the sequel and the movie isn’t even out yet.”

Owen has also been named the new host for Shaquille O’Neal’s All-Star Comedy Weekend, which will be taped during the NBA’s All-Star Weekend, beginning Feb. 23.