Single students share plans for Singles’ Awareness Day

This upcoming Valentine’s Day is a reminder to some Nicholls Students that they are ironically single on the most celebrated romantic day of the year.

Valentine’s Day is dedicated to St. Valentine who is the Catholic patron saint of love, young people and happy marriages. The three main components of the day; love, young people and marriages are celebrated on Feb. 14 every year.

It is ironic that many people are single around Valentine’s Day. According to squidoo.com, there are 120 single men who are in their twenties for every 100 single women of the same ages.

Single people on Valentine’s Day have their own holiday called Singles’ Awareness Day. It is a humorous holiday for single people to celebrate their being single. The day is celebrated by hanging out with other single friends, being with family or self gift-giving.

To some Nicholls students, Valentine’s Day is an overrated day.

“I don’t think Valentine’s should be just one day,” John Branscum, general studies sophomore from Baton Rouge said. “It is a cop-out. Why do people have to be romantic one day when all that love and affection should be shown every day?”

Branscum explained that he just got out of relationship, so Valentine’s Day is going to be hard for him, but he is taking it as just another day.

“I have a test that day so I am going to be studying and doing the same things I do every day,” Branscum said. “I just feel bad for people that are reminded of how lonely they are and that they are not with anyone on Valentine’s Day.”

Some Nicholls students feel a little bitter towards the romantic day.

“Valentine’s Day is a load of crap because it reminds us that we are still single,” Julie Wagner, mass communications sophomore from New Orleans, said. “It makes us eat chocolate, watch all the shows on Lifetime, and watch Netflix. We read our timelines on Twitter and Facebook and see everyone taking pictures and putting kissy faces which hurts people’s feelings.”

Wagner plans to spend her Valentine’s Day with her teddy bear, Annalisa. She is going to order pizza, buy chocolate and watch Ninja Turtles all night.

“I didn’t get an invitation to Single Awareness Day so I don’t know about it,” Wagner said. “I am so single that they didn’t give me an invitation because I am very aware that I am single.”

Wagner explained that when growing up her Valentines were her father and brothers that gave her flowers and candy.

“Nobody can top what my dad and brothers did for me,” Wagner said. “No guy that I know has given me flowers. If somebody wants to, I live in Millet and I like poppies.”

Valentine’s Day is mostly dedicated to couples, but Wagner talked about how when people were younger, Valentine’s Day was all about friendship.

“It is about love for family and friends, too,” Wagner said. “We used to write Valentine’s Day cards for people in middle school and now people are just in a relationship or they are single.”

Some people that are single can also have a Valentine without a relationship, like Brittany James, sociology junior from New Orleans.

“I have a friend that is going to take me out,” James said. “I have a Valentine, but I don’t have an official Valentine.”

Whether people are celebrating Valentine’s Day or Singles’ Awareness Day, Feb. 14 will always be a day of celebrating relationships.