Colonels finish in the top four

Photo by: Maryna Fowler
Junior left-handed pitcher Patrick Shreve makes a throw at the April 17 game against Central Arkansas, which was part of a three-day series for the Southland Conference.

The Nicholls baseball team clinched their spot in the Southland Conference Tournament for the second consecutive season, going into the tournament in eighth place and coming out in the top four.

The Colonels’ appearance, led by first year head coach Seth Thibodeaux, marked the first time in school history that the baseball team would make the Southland Tournament back-to-back, tied the most Southland Conference wins at 15 and was two wins short of a 30 win season since 1993 ending the season 28-29.

The Colonels started off getting the upset shutout victory against the number one seeded Texas State Bobcats in a dominant showing of junior pitcher Seth Webster combined with a team effort of 14 hits in the 6-0 victory. This was Webster’s seventh complete game of the season and his second complete game shutout.

In a postgame interview, Webster contributed his success to getting ahead in the count against hitters. “You make them have to hit your pitch instead of the other way around,” Webster said.

“When he had to make a big pitch he did and that was the big difference in the game,” Texas State head coach Ty Harrington said about Seth Webster.

The Colonels carried on their success in day two of the tournament knocking down fifth seeded Sam Houston State in another complete game victory, this time led by junior pitcher Patrick Shreve. Shreve only allowed one unearned run while not walking a batter.

Shreve could not have done it without the help of his defense. Multiple times in the game, Shreve faced a batter with a runner in scoring position and his defense was able to grind through the situation, ultimately coming out on top. Being able to grind through these situations had been a topic the Colonels worked on and talked about all season.

“We have to grind it out. We’re not anything special but we play very, very hard. Our guys believe and they fight. When you fight and believe in something, good things are going to happen,” Thibodeaux said after the victory against Sam Houston.

The Bobcats would get not only one but two rematch games against the Colonels. In both games, the Colonels were unable to succeed, ultimately ending their season and their chance for an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. The Bobcats would go on to win the Southland Conference Tournament but fall in the first game of the NCAA Tournament against Kent State.

The Colonels would not have gotten the chance to play in the Southland Conference Tournament if it were not from a all together team effort aided by the other conference teams and one hit which sealed the Colonels fate.

Going into the final regular season weekend against the Cowboys of McNeese State, the Colonels had to sweep the Cowboys followed by multiple scenarios of other teams winning and losing around the conference.

Ultimately, the other scenarios happened by the last game the Colonels played against the Cowboys. The Colonels controlled their own destiny and got the clutch win led by junior designated hitter Jeremy Hill.

In the bottom of the tenth, tied three all, two outs and the winning run on third, Hill stepped up to the plate. On the first pitch, Hill singled through the right side scoring the run needed to clinch a Southland Conference Tournament berth for the Colonels.

Scoring the needed run was senior outfielder Bear Comer. This would be the last run Bear would score at Didier Field as a Colonel and the last game all of the Nicholls seniors would play at home. The Colonels lose outfielder Kasey Culverson, shortstop Chase Jaramillo, outfielder Scott Moseley, catcher Jason Dennis, pitcher Ryan Norton, pitcher Brian Arceneaux and infielder Zach Tisdale in addition to Comer.