Softball twins share collegiate experience with each other

Freshman catcher Brittany Marcet watches the ball she just hit as she begins to run during Saturday’s doubleheader against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.

As the Nicholls State Softball team prepares to play each game during the 2011 spring season, opponents, fans, and umpires may suffer from a mild case of déjà vu.

Nicholls has been able to recruit two similar-looking young ladies, both from Pearland, Texas, to play alongside each other. Freshman softball players Megan and Brittany Marcet are fraternal twins who love playing together as teammates.

Since their childhood days, they have always found a sense of comfort from being able to turn to each other for support, whether it was during a softball game or just a normal day in their daily lives.

“We can go to each other and talk about anything,” Brittany said.

“Brittany supports me, she always helps me with my homework,” Megan said.

Even though they may look similar, they believe there are some obvious differences between the two of them.

“Megan is really shy, and I’m more outgoing,” Brittany said.

“She obviously has the height and may have the brains, but I have the brawn,” Megan said.

Positioned as their former high school’s starting pitcher and catcher, Megan and Brittany believe their sisterly bond benefited them and their team because their connection played to their advantage.

“We always have been on the same team, and we never played against each other,” Brittany said.

With the opportunity to earn a collegiate degree and to play their favorite sport, they had to decide which university they wanted to attend.

The twins continued their journey together at Nicholls State, but a reasonable person may wonder if all this time spent together makes them irritated with each other easily. After all, Megan and Brittany eat, play and live together.

“We live together in Zeringue Hall. We do get tired of each other sometime, and we do fight,” Megan said.

Although they spend much of their time supporting each other as sisters and teammates, they are also no strangers to competing against each other, even from the earliest of days.

“We always competed against each other for grades in school,” Megan said.

“We never competed against each other for boys because we definitely don’t have the same taste in guys,” Brittany said.

Differences aside, these sisters have found a way to overcome each other’s peeves because they realize their support for each other is the most important thing.

“Brittany plays her music way too loud,” Megan said.

“Megan is really messy,” said Brittany.

Though twins are unique, the Nicholls State softball team also has two other players, Mandy Granger and Lanie Strickland, who each have their own twin that does not attend Nicholls. The Marcet twins find comfort in talking to and being around Granger and Strickland.

“I think we are able to bond with them because they are twins also,” Brittany said.

Much like it is effortless for the Marcet twins to relate to other twins, they also find it simple to identify themselves with each a parent.

“I’m more of a daddy’s girl, and Megan relates more to our mom,” Brittany said.

Megan and Brittany are dinner buddies, softball teammates and college roommates, but before and above it all, they are twin sisters and their bond has no state boundaries. Looking back on their sisterly bond, Brittany said, “Her getting me into softball brought us closer together. Before that, I didn’t know what softball was until she started.”

Next year, Nicholls has recruited another set of twins to play alongside the Marcet twins, and Megan and Brittany look forward to sharing their college experience with them.

“It was different coming here to Nicholls and leaving home, but at least we had each other,” Megan said.

Freshman pitcher Megan Marcet warms up during practice on Tuesday.