Soccer season ends bitter-sweet

Forward Kandice Champagne #18 from Houma saves the ball from passing the sideline in a game versus Texas State University on Sunday.

After two losses at home over the weekend, the Nicholls State University’s soccer team finished its season with a record of 6-12-1.

On Sunday afternoon, before the Colonels kicked off versus Texas State University, a ceremony was held to honor the five seniors who have amassed the most wins as a senior class with 20 victories: goalkeeper Molly Mersereau, midfielder Sam Etherington, forward Kandice Champagne, defender Keisha Brown and midfielder Michaela Gaudin.

Each player was presented with a framed jersey to commemorate their playing days at Nicholls.

This season paired with the previous marks the first time in school history that a Nicholls women’s soccer team has won six games in two consecutive seasons.

With every season comes wins and losses, highs and lows and incoming and departing players. However, this understanding does not make losing these five seniors any easier, according to head coach Dylan Harrison.

“To define what they have meant to our team is tough because mostly it is all of the little things they do for us that make a difference,” Harrison said. “Whether it is their school record of most wins by a class or establishing a good environment for our players, they have done so much for this program.”

As Harrison would agree, without these five seniors next year, the atmosphere around the team will certainly change.

“Obviously things will be very different, but the biggest thing with our sport is that we only play for three months,” Harrison said. “So the situation does not allow a lot of time for personal development.”

“Now, we have nine months for all the other players who are currently here to step up and continue to improve as individuals,” Harrison said. “Hopefully, they will be able to fill some of those gaps at positions where we are losing seniors.”

The Colonels fell to conference foe University of Texas at San Antonio on Friday afternoon by the score 3-0. The Colonels only allowed one goal in the first half against San Antonio, but the Roadrunners later proved they were the team to beat after putting two more shots into the net.

Freshman forward Kristy Tatom and sophomore forward Janelle Brandom Champagne all recorded shots on goal for the Colonels. Meanwhile in goal, Mersereau recorded seven saves on the day.

In their last game of the season, the Colonels set out to defeat another conference opponent, the Texas State University Bobcats, on Sunday afternoon.

The Colonels conceded one goal in the first half and did not allow another until the 77th minute. Shortly after, Ali Myers scored for the Bobcats, notching the score at 3-0. However, the Colonels refused to be shutout in their season finale.

Following a foul from about 40 yards out, Etherington lined up to take a free kick for the Colonels. The ball was successfully placed at the head of Champagne, who punched the ball past the Texas State goalkeeper for Nicholls’ only goal.

The Bobcats managed to score another goal via the foot of Serena Hines, giving them an insurmountable lead of 4-1, which would become the final score line.

Brown and Champagne each finished with two shots, with both of Champagne’s efforts on goal. Brandom, junior defender Britni Crone and sophomore midfielder Melissa Pestalozzi each finished with one shot.

Mersereau played all 90 minutes on the afternoon, and totaled with six saves. She finished her career at Nicholls with more than 6,000 minutes in goal—only the second player in school history to reach that amount. While starting in 17 of the 19 total matches this year, she accumulated 84 saves for a 73 percent save percentage.

Leading the team on the year was Kristy Tatom in goals with six and points with 14, Etherington led with three assists and corner kicks with 27 and Champagne in shots with a total of 30.