Parsons resigns as head coach

Sports Information

THIBODAUX – The Nicholls State University Athletics Department announced today the resignation of head softball coach Jenny Parsons.

Parsons guided the program for seven years after serving two seasons as an assistant coach under former head coach Phyllis Guidry. Parsons leaves Nicholls to pursue another opportunity.

“I want to thank (athletic director) Rob Bernardi, (university president) Dr. (Stephen) Hulbert and (vice president for institutional advancement) Dr. (David) Boudreaux for a great nine years at Nicholls,” said Parsons. “I am appreciative of everything they’ve done for me in my softball career, and I look forward to the challenges ahead.”

“This decision was not made lightly,” added Parsons. “It was a very emotional meeting with my players. I’m going to miss them a lot.”

Parsons, a native of Glen Burnie, Md., led Nicholls to the postseason in four of the past six years, including an appearance in the Southland Conference Championship in 2008. Under her tutelage, current third baseman Ashley Ray earned the 2010 Southland Conference Player of the Year Award, as well as being named an Easton All-American. Two other players were also named All-Southland in 2010.

Parsons finishes her tenure at Nicholls with a 169-207 record. A standout pitcher herself at East Carolina, Parsons coached nine All-Southland selections in the circle during her time at Nicholls.

“We appreciate Coach Parsons’ contribution to our softball program,” said Bernardi. “For nearly a decade, Jenny was involved in some way with Nicholls softball. We wish her the best.”

A search for a new head coach will begin immediately.