Women’s soccer team prepares for southeastern match

The team huddles up for a pep talk at the women’s soccer game against McNeese on Friday afternoon.

With nearly a week since their last game, the Nicholls soccer team is set to face Southeastern tomorrow at the Nicholls Soccer Complex.
Southeastern will come in with a 7-6-1 record, looking to add to their lone conference victory. Nicholls, 5-8 on the season, will be playing for their first win in the Southland Conference.
According to fourth year coach Dylan Harrison, the team has been putting in some productive practices with the season coming into full swing.
“Last week we had one of our best training sessions this year,” Harrison said. “So we want to build on that.”
Coming off a 1-0 loss to McNeese last Friday, the Colonels put focus on closing out opponents in preparation for Friday’s game against the Lions. In the final minutes against McNeese, the Colonels had a chance to even the score, but could not convert the shot into a goal.
“It was a prime example of the game of soccer,” Harrison said. “If you have an early mistake, you get punished for it.”
Nicholls has not lost by more than two scores in conference, but have been unable to score a goal in the same games. Against McNeese, the Colonels had more corner kicks and shots than the Cowgirls in the loss.  
“The reality is that we played well,” Harrison said. “That was us putting them on their heels and pushing the tempo. We just have to find a way to not give up that early goal, and if we do, get it back.”
Freshman Spencer Valdespino, a top offensive performer for the Colonels, has shown a knack for getting the ball to the goal. Valdespino leads the team in shots, including six last week against McNeese. Like Harrison though, Valdespino would like to see more of those shots get to the net.
“I think it is just our composure,” Valdespino said. “When you get the ball by the goal, you are just thinking all these different things.”
Rather than spending too much time on the opponent, Valdespino has stayed focused on her and her teammates’ performance and ability to take advantage of offensive opportunities heading into tomorrow’s match.
“I do not know very much about Southeastern or what they are about,” Valdespino said. “We just have to calm down, look where the goalie is not and take the shot. Finishing is our number one thing right now because we are staying in games.”
Harrison stressed that scoring can be difficult but it is necessary to make those close shots count.
“Scoring goals is not easy,” Harrison said. “Part of scoring goals is dealing with pressure, and you are not going to get a ton of opportunities. For that one opportunity you do get, it is about whether you can take that deep breath and finish. That is what separates the great finishers from the other players who are capable, but cannot finish.”
The Colonels have four games left in the regular season after Friday’s matchup, all against conference competition.