Football hopes to rebound from Homecoming loss

An injury-plagued Nicholls State football team lost to Sam Houston State 41-0 for Homecoming, and head coach Charlie Stubbs dubbed the loss a “disappointment.”

“There’s disappointment because I felt like we would have played them closer than that,” Stubbs said. “The score doesn’t indicate the competitiveness that we showed. We just didn’t make plays.”

After missing three key offensive players in junior running back Marcus Washington, freshman wildcat specialist Tuskani Figaro and senior wide receiver Laquintin Caston, the Colonels couldn’t match Sam Houston’s speed, according to Stubbs

Going into the game against Sam Houston, Washington, Figaro and Caston led the Colonels in rushing, and without them senior tailback Jesse Turner had to do the heavy lifting. 

“If we can get some of those guys back, we can counter other team’s (speed),” Stubbs said. 

That is not the only reason why the Colonels lost though. Stubbs said though the Colonels were able to move the football, Nicholls was unable to capitalize in the red zone and put points on the board.  He also pointed out the team’s lack of confidence in some areas.

“To win, you have to expect to win,” Stubbs said. “We have some guys who don’t have a confidence problem, but we have some guys who are unsure of themselves. I’m more assure of them than they are.”

Stubbs said it is his job to get his team’s motor running and have them believe in themselves, but in order for the Colonels to win against their next opponent, Stephen F. Austin, they are going to have to put together a four quarter performance.

Stubbs said he has seen glimpses of greatness with this team. There were times when the defense shined through like the Colonels 9-3 loss against an FBS opponent, South Alabama. While other times, the offense was able to capitalize and put points on the board, such as the Colonels leading Central Arkansas at halftime. Stubbs said his team must sustain that for the entire length of the ball game, and to do that, they have to make big plays that lead to scores, which will make getting into the end zone contagious. 

“We have got to make some plays that keep us with hope in the game,” Stubbs said.

The good news for the Colonels is Washington is cleared to play on the Lumberjacks’ turf Saturday at 3 p.m., and chances are the Colonels are going to need him with Stephen F. Austin’s conference leading 496.7 yards per game. The Lumberjacks are fourth in the league, scoring an average of 34.3, but they are going into the game against the Colonels with four losses, just like Nicholls. 

Stubbs quoted future NFL Hall of Fame coach Bill Parcells when he said, “you are what your record is.” Having said that, Stubbs said that Stephen F. Austin is a great scoring team, and the Colonels will need to put points on the board and be opportunistic on defense to hang with the Lumberjacks high-scoring offense.

“They throw the ball a ton, so that’s going to be a challenge. They will make mistakes, and when we get opportunities to pick the ball off, we have to make those plays,” Stubbs said.

Though the Colonels are 1-4, Stubbs remains optimistic with his team and believes that they have a great opportunity to still have a successful season.

“This game of football mirrors life and not everything is going to be easy,” Stubbs said. “Can’t feel sorry for yourself, you just have to do something about it, and that’s what we plan on doing.”