Colonels try to continue success

On Friday, Aug. 12th, the women’s soccer team practices for an upcoming game.

After the most successful season in school history, the Nicholls soccer team will look to continue their success as they kick off the season in Thibodaux against the Badgers of Spring Hill tomorrow at noon. To prepare for the upcoming season, the team spent several hours on the field and in the classroom.

From the first moment of training, the girls endured grueling fitness tests before practice would even start. Endurance running as well sprints was heavily implemented.

Runs of twelve minutes and sprints of different durations were conducted and the amount of laps and seconds each player ran was recorded; the goal was that eventually each player would improve their total laps and times.

The first couple of practices were spent concentrating on defense exclusively. The focus shifted to attacking, and then movement and possession. Ultimately, preseason drills ended with 11v11 scrimmages.

Last season, four starters missed significant time due to injuries. Due to altered practice regimens, injuries have been avoided thus far in order to help keep the team healthy for the season.

This year’s squad will feature ten incoming freshman, one redshirt freshman, eight sophomores, one junior and six seniors.  Head coach Dylan Harrison and assistant coach Kristen Filmore believe that returning players and new players alike should earn their spots; therefore, no one is considered a starter at this point.

“Everyone here will be given an opportunity to play, and a chance to prove herself,” said Harrison in regard to his team’s veterans and younger players.

Aside from the physical aspect of their preparation, the Colonels also took a cerebral approach to ready themselves for the upcoming season. In their first classroom session, the team examined old game footage and an opposing team’s scouting report to critique their own strengths and weaknesses.

Four important aspects of being a student athlete were also analyzed: academics, community, teammates and leadership around school.

In regards to academics, the soccer team averaged over a 3.0 grade point average, which according to Britni Crone, nursing major from Houma, La., is one of the highest of all athletic teams on campus.

As a way to give back to the community, the team conducted a free soccer clinic to the youth of the area this spring. In recent years, they have even built houses and volunteered for the Habitat for Humanity run.

With work also comes play, and the team did just that during their annual picture hunt. This tradition allows the players to really bond and get to know each other off the field as people aside from teammates.

The Colonels are scheduled for ten home games and nine away games this season. When asked about possibly winning more games this year, Coach Harrison responded, “If we did not think we could win more games, we would not be out here.”

Crone, agreed saying, “Even though we are a young team, we have grown together. The skill levels of the players here at Nicholls have increased, and I certainly think we can do better than last year.”