Cheerleaders bring home more than memories

While attending a Universal Cheerleaders Association-sponsored camp at Texas State University in July, the Nicholls State cheerleaders brought several awards back home to Thibodaux.  

In their division that consisted of a couple conference foes, such as Northwestern State and host Texas State, Nicholls placed first in Cheer and second in Sideline. They were also awarded one of the highest honors, Most Collegiate, which is given to the program that best exemplifies leadership and professionalism. On a larger scale, they competed against all schools attending camp, including those in Division 1, such as Oklahoma State and the University of Texas, and placed fifth overall in Fight Song.

This camp was put on by the UCA, which was founded in 1974. Our Nicholls squad is fortunate to have two members of UCA on their squad: Bridget Champagne, marketing junior from Houma, LA, and Alex Stufflet, mass communications sophomore from Harvey, LA.

This year’s squad will feature eight girls and eight boys, something Nicholls has not seen for a number of years. Head cheerleader Cali Baio, marketing senior from Marrero, LA, said of the team’s adjustment: “It was a challenge to transition into a fully co-ed squad.” Only four boys were part of the team last season and were only utilized for basketball games. “But we learned to work as a team and I am very proud of our accomplishments,” Baio said.

Mitchell Callahan, a male cheerleader who is a nursing major from Lafayette, said it was great to attend camp to compete against the bigger schools and to learn from their teams. “Seeing them made me want to work harder and strive to make Nicholls the best program possible,” Callahan said.

Going to camp allowed the team to grow closer and develop more personal relationships. “While spending a week together at camp, we had the time to get to know each other. During that week, we really became a unit,” Callahan said.

Due to their role in the student body, cheerleaders are given the opportunity to develop as individuals as well as members of society. At games and on campus, these students must engage with fans and their fellow peers to provide an enjoyable and exciting atmosphere, thus developing leadership skills. Both Baio and Callahan agree that one of the most rewarding qualities is leadership.

Baio said of the opportunity to become a leader, “Being captain of Nicholls cheerleading has helped me gain leadership skills that will help me later in life.” Callahan agreed that one of the most rewarding aspects of cheerleading is the sense of leadership they are able to exhibit on and off the field. “Whether it is on the field, on the court, or in the classroom, cheerleading has enabled me to become more of a leader in all parts of my life,” Callahan said.

Considering all of their recent achievements, the Nicholls cheerleaders are poised to support all aspects of campus life in addition to our athletics teams. With either a pom pom or megaphone in hand, and a smile on their faces, they will certainly cheer for our Colonels teams this season.