Misleading changes made to math grades

James Chapman, Instructor of mathematics, teaches his summer class on July 5th in Peltier Hall.

The math grade requirement for Math 100 or 101 has changed from a C to a D to satisfy the general education requirement, affecting students with only one math requirement.
“The general education requirement was changed because the University was one of two institutions in the state that required the C,” Vice President of academic affairs Laynie Barrilleaux said.
Barrilleaux said the discussion of the change has been going on since Spring 2012 among the General Education Assessment Committee. The committee brought the change to the Faculty Senate who then brought it to Barrilleaux, where she made the final decision on the change.
“The grade change only affects students who have one math requirement. If a student has the requirements of Math 101 and 102, 102 still requires the student to have a C in Math 101,” Barrilleaux said.  
If a student is required to take a math elective, Math 117 is the only course that can be taken that allows a D in Math 101. Any other math class requires a C or better in 101. In higher level math classes, there may be a requirement of a C or better in both Math 101 and 117.
“It is to the student’s best interest that they check their degree plan to know if they are affected by the change,” as stated in Inside Students on Aug. 19.
Previous students that only have one math requirement will not have to re-take the class if they obtained a D to satisfy the general education requirement.
“It is not that we are lightening up the standards, because we are certainly not. It is that we need to be conscious of the fact that are different avenues for careers, and they do not all require a heavy math component,” Barrilleaux said.
“The math grade of a C for students with only one math requirement was a gate keeper for many students, so if they are not moving on to the next math, then why are we insisting on a C?” Barrilleaux said.
Barrilleaux said that even if a student obtains a D in the math course, they will still need to obtain a B or a C in another class to make up for it.
“To me this emphasizes the fact that we have a very diverse population and a diversity of programs, where some require an emphasis on math and some do not,” Barrilleaux said.  “We do not feel like it needs to be like the saying, ‘look to your right, look to your left, one of you will be gone.’  With our own ability and motivation we can all succeed if we put forth the right effort.”
Barrilleaux insisted that the change is for the best.
“We would not have made the decision to make the change if we thought it would have hurt students; we are not in that business,” Barrilleaux said.