Nicholls recognizes student employess

National Student Employment Week, April 10-16, is a time to acknowledge the hard work done by student employees on campus.

Rachel Babin, assistant director of Financial Aid, said flyers were sent out to each department encouraging them to take part and do special things for their students throughout the week.

She also said a campus-wide student employee of the year contest was held. Supervisors in each department nominated students they thought displayed hard work, outstanding character and unselfish service throughout their time as a student worker. A committee voted on the nominees and three winners will be selected and receive scholarships sponsored by Pro-NSU. An awards ceremony will be held on April 14th, and all nominees will be invited to attend.

Students working on campus do a wide variety of activities for their respective departments, Babin explained.

“We have students in departments doing front line customer service work. Some are doing research activities with faculty members. Some students are working in residence halls and coming up with activities for the residents and making sure they are happy. I think there is a job to fit everyone’s personality on campus.”

Mary Babin, allied health sophomore from Thibodaux and student worker for Ellender Memorial Library, said her job consists of organizing all of the books in the library. She has been working since the fall semester and took the job to earn some extra money. From taking the job, she has also earned some valuable skills that will benefit her throughout her life.

“I get a lot out of my job. I get to interact with a lot of people and help people around the library. I also get a sense of responsibility that is needed in jobs and will help me in the future.”

Aaron Hill, pre-med junior from Thibodaux and student worker for Nicholls housing, said his role as a resident assistant for Scholars Hall involves creating a safe and comfortable environment for the residents on campus. Some evenings he serves as primary resident assistant, in which all of the other residents can come to him with any problems that may arise.  He chose to be resident assistant to have more time for his classes and has been working since February.

Hill said the job allows him to expand his social skills and become involved on campus.

“I get to stretch my social muscles. The job requires me to be a little more socially active with people on campus and that is very rewarding.”

Anyone interested in applying for a student job is asked to fill out the FAFSA form at www. fafsa.ed.gov. Babin said students must then fill out a student employment information sheet to begin receiving e-mails on their University account about available campus job openings.

“Student jobs are something great to put on your resume, help build leadership skills and teach students how to interact with people on a daily basis outside of the classroom,” Babin said. “It’s another step in the learning process.”