Petroleum engineering program receives $3,000 donation

The Petroleum Engineering Technology and Safety Management (PETSM) department received a $3,000 donation from the Louisiana Society of Petroleum Engineers.
PETSM has been in existence for 40 years at Nicholls State University. The department offers bachelor and associate degrees in petroleum services and an associate degree in safety technology. The degrees offered by PETSM are accredited by the Association of Technology, Management and Applied Engineering (ATMAE). These programs are known for their unique scheduling, which allows nontraditional students to pursue their education while continuing to work in the oil field and gas industry.
The donation will be used to further the education of PETSM students.
“Money will be used for program support, including student travel to industry conferences and symposiums,” PETSM Executive Director Michael Gautreaux said.
In 1973, the program implemented the 7-and-7 scheduling system, which would accommodate the work schedules of students who work seven-on-seven-off rotations in the oil field and gas industry.  Later, a schedule was developed to accommodate a 14-on-14-off rotation work schedule. This works by allowing students to attend class once a week, either Tuesday or Thursday. Students then have the option of taking core classes online or through a hybrid teaching method. This allows students to continue completing coursework while they are not in class. Currently, 80 percent of the associate level courses are available online through Moodle.
The starting salaries for petroleum services and safety technology careers start at $60,000. A career in Safety Technology teaches student to find ways to identify and avoid accidents in the workplace. This can lead to employment in education, government agencies, research and organizations in industries such as marine, petroleum, construction, energy and more.
Students seeking an associate degree in petroleum services can attain to work in technical and management positions. A Bachelor’s degree in Petroleum Services can lead to careers in middle or upper level management. Upon graduation, these students can be employed by drilling contractors, service contractors and companies that specialize in oil and gas services.
Supporters of the degrees offered by the PETSM department emphasize the ability these degrees have in making graduates more employable. By attaining their education through the PETSM program, graduates increase their chances of promotions and professional advancement.
The success of the PETSM department has led to changes that hope to further the growth of the department. There are plans to increase the amount of classes offered online in the spring semester. Donations, such as the one received last month from the SPE, serve to show the community and professional support that the department has received over the years.
“Exciting things are happening,” Albert Davis, dean of university college, said.
The growth and success of the program is evident in the 330 students who have declared PETSM as their major.
“Many more are taking courses to complete an associate of science, such as interdisciplinary studies majors,” Gautreaux said.
The appeal of the program is evident, providing opportunities for those working in the oil and gas industry to advance professionally and become more experienced.