Dedication of recreation center to be held Sept. 21

The dedication of the Harold J. Callais Memorial Recreation Center will take place on Sept. 21.

The dedication of the Harold J. Callais Memorial Recreation Center will be Sept. 21 at 10 a.m.
“The recreation center is named after the late Harold J. Callais, who served on the Louisiana Board of Regents and was an avid supporter of the University and higher education on the state level,” David Boudreaux, vice president of institutional advancement, said.
Callais, a former entrepreneur and civic leader, founded a number of businesses in Louisiana. The businesses are focused in the field of mass communications, banking and solid waste disposal. Over the years, Callais and his businesses have received several of the University’s highest awards and honors.
“We are so pleased that this building is being named in honor of Callais,” Boudreaux, a former colleague of Callais’s, said. “This is perfect and appropriate that the University would choose to do this and it is the right thing to do.”
The Callais family has established three major scholarships for the University. The family has also donated $600,000 to create the Harold J. Callais Endowed Chair in Economic Development.
Callais died in 2000 while on a scuba diving trip in the Gulf of Mexico.
There are a number of honored guests invited to attend the event, Boudreaux said.
In attendance will be president and vice president of the University, members of the Callais family, a representative on behalf of Thibodaux Mayor Eschete, a representative of the Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s department, and Michel Claudet of Terrebonne Parish.
Speaking at the dedication is assistant vice president of facilities Mike Davis, University President Stephen Hulbert, president of student affairs Eugene Dial, Student Government Association president Matthew Jewel, and the president of the facilities corporation.
The Callais family will have a chance to respond during the dedication, and Callais’s portrait will be unveiled, Boudreaux said. There will also be a small reception after for the guests.
“The fact that others are recognizing that this is a great choice reflects on how well our choice was,” Boudreaux said. “It also reflects how great of a person Callais was.”
The recreation center will be open for students at noon on Saturday, Sept. 29.