Sexual assault in Peltier Park

According to the police advisory sent by University Police, safety and security are each individual’s responsibility.
On March 13, investigators with the Thibodaux Police Department contacted the Nicholls State University Police Department and informed them of an incident that occurred on the morning of March 11. 
While a female was jogging in Peltier Park at around dusk, a white male, who had been hiding under a park bench came out from underneath the bench and grabbed the female.
The female, who was running with her keys in her hand, was able to get away from the suspect by stabbing him in the face with the keys. After being stabbed with the keys, the white male suspect fled the scene on foot. The victim also reported that just prior to the attack, she saw the suspect jogging in Peltier Park.
 The suspect is described as a white male, with a thin athletic build, and his age is estimated to be in his early to mid-twenties. The suspect is between 6″ to 6.5″ tall with very short hair or possibly bald with thick sideburns. The suspect was last seen wearing a black “muscle” shirt and baggy loose fitting shorts.
 The suspect may have injuries on his face as a result of being stabbed by the keys.
Paul Porter, University Police officer, said that when traveling at night, individuals should stay in well-lit areas.
“If you have to go somewhere late, bring a friend or your roommate,” Porter said. “Keep an eye on your car, and keep your keys with you.”
Porter also suggested purchasing mace or pepper spray.
University Police advised individuals to take precautions by increasing awareness of your environment.   Contact the Nicholls State University Police Department at 985- 448-4911 or 985-448-4746 to report anything suspicious.  When reporting any suspicious activity, persons and/or vehicles you may remain anonymous.