University awaits budget approval

In a recent interview on KNSU talk show, “Nicholls and U,” executive vice president Larry Howell discussed the University budget for the upcoming year and its effect on students.

Though the Board of Regents has not approved the University budget yet, Howell said there would be a 10 percent increase in tuition this year for full-time students if it passes. He gave the student organization, Stand Up, faculty members and local delegates, like Dee Richard, recognition for alerting Governor Bobby Jindal that earlier anticipated budget cuts would not happen without destroying economic development and the positive direction of the University.

Half of the proposed 10 percent increase would come from a 2008 bill, Howell said, that allows institutions to increase tuition for four years if they are more than 20 percent below the Southern regional average. This is the final year the University can use this bill, but the 10 percent increase, which amounts to $213 more per semester, is expected for several more years because of the GRAD Act.

The GRAD Act, which would account for the other five percent of the increase, allows institutions to raise tuition up to 10 percent if they are below the Southern regional average and if they meet state specified goals within a six year period. Howell said the University is close to meeting its goals in about three years and did very well in every category except second and third year retention, which fell short by two students.

“That was after we eliminated eight academic programs. We lost over 100 students that were in those programs. If that hadn’t happened, we would have blown that one [category] out of the water.”

Howell said he anticipates a yearly tuition increase in order to get closer to the Southern regional average.

“We are 34.7 percent below the average for schools like us, which comes out to about $1,100 a semester. That’s how far below the average we are.”

Howell said students could expect to feel more of the financial burden of higher education because universities nationwide are going from “state-funded institutions to state-assisted institutions” due to the economy.

“More of our budget will be from self-generated funds for the first time, and it will probably continue in that direction.”    

Although the University has faced some budget cuts, Howell said the budget will be at a virtual standstill. It will maintain everything the institution already has but with little enhancement.

“Nicholls will continue as it was and, hopefully, as time goes by, we get the authority to increase tuition and state funding improves as the economy improves, then we can start growing again.”

Howell said these issues should be anticipated each year but that he is confident in the support that the University will continue to receive.

“I think with tragedy comes opportunity. This was the opportunity to put Nicholls out to the community, and the community now understands how important Nicholls is.”