Doucet fulfills interim position

The new dean of Arts and Sciences, Dr. John Doucet, gets interviewed in his office on Friday morning.

John Doucet, associate professor of biological sciences and director of the University Honors Program, has been hired as the interim Dean for the College of Arts and Sciences for 2011-2012 with plans to fine-tune each subject it offers.

Doucet has a Bachelor of Science degree from the University as well as a doctorate from Louisiana State University Medical Center. He has completed postdoctoral fellowships at the Louisiana State University Neuroscience Center and Alton Ochsner Medical Foundation. In addition, he is an acclaimed playwright, having won several awards for his works about Cajun history and culture.

As to whether this position will affect his classes, Doucet said he will not desert his students.

“If the position does affect my classes, I will make certain that all my students are in good, capable hands for their coursework.”

Doucet said his responsibilities as dean will include overall management and leadership within the college, problem solving, promoting the college, organizing recruiting projects, and studying and implementing curriculum improvements.

During his service, Doucet said he plans to improve the college by honing each subject matter.

“If you come into the University writing well, you’re going to learn to write more exquisitely through English class. You’re going to learn math skills, speech skills—all fundamental things that you’re going to need and not going to get a good job without. All of that is provided through arts and sciences.”

Doucet said he wants to make sure all students get a great education and become aware of the career opportunities the college has to offer.

“Despite the fact that we are in economically problematic times, I hope we can grow the College of Arts and Sciences.”