Nicholls offers FASFA worshops to students

The Office of Financial Aid will be offering several workshops to help students fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid if they are interested in receiving federal grants and loans.

Along with sending out email reminders to all current financial aid applicants to reapply for FAFSA, the office will sponsor the workshops to offer assistance with the completion of the form in Candies Hall, counselor for the Office of Financial Aid Brandi St. Pierre said. The workshops, for students currently living on campus, will be held from April 4 -7 from 1:30 to 3:30 pm. Advisors in University College posted the announcement for the workshop on their site as well. Students must call Financial Aid at 985-448-4048 to register for a session, as space is limited.

St. Pierre encourages every student planning to attend the University next school year to fill out the FAFSA form.

“No matter what students think they are eligible for, they should still fill it out. They may qualify for some type of aid they think they wouldn’t qualify for, like a student loan.”

Anyone receiving TOPS must complete FAFSA as well, St. Pierre said.

The priority deadline date for filing FAFSA is April 15, but students can complete the form throughout the semester. The absolute deadline to submit the form is June 30, 2011.

According to the government website, the Office of Federal Student Aid, under the United States Department of Education, strives to provide all eligible individuals “federally funded financial assistance for education beyond high school.” The office partners with universities, financial institutions and other organizations to alleviate some of the financial burden college students may face.