Student Union custodian died Monday at age 40

A recent picture of Ben Cortez enjoying food at a nicholls event. Cortez died on Monday night.

Benjamin Cortez, one of the custodians for the Student Union, died Monday night at the age of 40.

Melvin Harrison, assistant director of the Student Union, said that he does not know the causes of death but does know that he did not respond to his alarm clock on Tuesday morning.

Harrison said that Cortez’s position was Custodian-two and some responsibilities of his job included “be the muscle and ensure all of our set ups were done and complete for our customers and provide them with any equipment or technical needs.”

However, these responsibilities did not keep Cortez inside. He was often found doing grounds work.

“I think he worked the blower thing until it didn’t work at times. He was always sweeping, raking or blowing something,” Harrison said.

Despite his many responsibilities, staff and faculty members often reported to Harrison that he hardly ever complained, was a hard worker and seemed glad to have his job.

“He was definitely a good worker. He stayed consistent in his work and wasn’t someone you had to ask to stay busy. We were happy to have him. Once you gave him an assignment, he did it. He was a great addition to the team,” Harrison said.

Harrison and Cortez also shared something in common: they both loved to get to the food first.

“He was my competition. Every time there was food served, either he or I would be the first people in line, and we would eat each other out of food. The office would have to fend for themselves because most times, it was me and Ben,” Harrison said.

His personality is what stuck out to those who worked with him or were around him constantly.

“He always had something to laugh and smile about. He was a crazy person but great to be around,” Harrison said.

While it was mostly only faculty and staff who knew him, some students had the opportunity to get to know him through activities in the Student Union.

“He was a really great person and a really nice guy. He was a hard worker and really helpful. He was just a genuine guy. He was always there and we’re going to miss him a lot,” Peter Jenkins, government junior from Greensboro, N. C., said.

As of press time, services have not been set.