SGA president serves on Louisiana board

SGA president and government senior John Lombardo will serve as the student member of the Board of Supervisors for the University of Louisiana System for the 2011-2012 school year.

The University of Louisiana System, formed in 1974, provides higher education to individuals through its eight universities located throughout Louisiana. It provides over 600 academic degree programs through courses offered on campus and through distance-learning technology online. According to the official website, the system works to provide cost-effective and quality education to citizens of the state.

Lombardo, who was selected by the seven other SGA presidents from the system’s universities, will sit on the board as the student representative along with 15 other members selected by the governor of Louisiana.

“It’s a tremendous honor and a great opportunity to learn about the higher education system,” Lombardo said.

During his time on the board, Lombardo said he will strive to be a voice for every student in the UL system.

“I hope I can fairly represent the 83,000 in the UL system and create the bond with the seven other SGA presidents which will allow me to do the best job possible.”

Lombardo is currently interning with U.S. Rep. Jeff Landry at the nation’s capital. He said this opportunity is teaching him valuable skills that he will be able take back to the board and the University.

“It has shown me how to run an office that represents thousands of individuals. Also, if you surround yourself with great staff and individuals and make your office a fun place to work, you create an atmosphere where only great things can happen.”

Lombardo will return to Baton Rouge to be sworn in at the June 24 UL System Board meeting.