Ayo pool scheduled to reopen

Photo by: Maryna Fowler
An empty Ayo Pool waits for its new liner, pump, and cleaning.

As the heat of summer begins, students, faculty, staff and visitors will soon have the J.J. Ayo Swimming Pool to cool off in.

The pool, which has been closed since the beginning of fall 2010, has been drained in order for workers to replace ripped lining, director of campus recreation Michael Matherne said. All electrical connections, wiring, pumps and motors are being replaced, along with some of the plumbing.

All of these repairs are being made in order to have the safest swimming environment but “it’s a pretty big job,” Matherne said.

Repairs are expected to be completed by July 1, but Matherne explained that the pool will not be open until several days after.

“The pool is a half a million gallons of water so it may take three or four days just to fill with water. Plus it will take some time to treat the water chemically to make sure it is sanitary and ready for swimmers.”

Though a definite opening date is not set, Matherne said they are working to have it ready as early in July as possible. He said he anticipates that some water activities, such as water aerobics, will be able to resume upon completion of work.

After the pool is open, the estimated 6,000 people who visit the pool each summer will be able to take advantage of an Olympic-sized facility with a lap lane, vending services, lifeguards and locker rooms.

“Once the pool is ready, it will be just like every other summer for the past 30 years,” Matherne said.